RX 780 vs X3400H (New to this and narrowing down receivers)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr. Hoogerson, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Mr. Hoogerson

Mr. Hoogerson

I've just pulled the trigger on a pair of KEF LS50's and I'm so excited for them to arrive but I'm struggling with what receiver to pair them up with.

To give a little background on myself in regards to my experience with audio in general, I should let everyone know that I don't really have any hah. I feel like I'm jumping straight into the deep end with these LS50s and I love it! My problem is after doing some research on receivers and amps for these speakers I feel the one I purchased yesterday just isn't good enough to do these speakers justice for me as many claim they need a lot of power (more than specified on their specs list). I bought a Denon x1400h but still have time to return it for my money back and opt for a slightly higher model or brand of receiver. So far the choices I've narrowed down to are a Denon x3400h as it seems to have great reviews and more power capabilities than its lesser model. In the other corner of the ring I'm looking at a Yamaha RX A780 both seem to have very similar features so I can't come up with a reason to go for one over the other.

Though the LS50's are designed as a stereo pair and meant for that purpose (from what I've been told at audio shops) I would like to keep my options open with a receiver capable of accommodating a surround system in the future should I change my course. I also like all the features that come with them like apps and what not. The receivers are within $10 of each other and pretty much right where I want to be price wise as I don't want to spend any more than I already have right now. Some guidance on this decision would be so helpful. Perhaps people have recent experience with these brands and could help nudge me one way or the other.

Mr. Hoogerson, Jul 1, 2018
  2. Mr. Hoogerson

Jeff Lee

How long have you got? Not trying to be clever but - you are an audio dealer's dream. Why did you buy a receiver with (5? 7? 9? channels) to go with a highly regarded pair of speakers that could offer you a splendid musical experience as long as they are set up properly and used with a high-quality 2-channel amplifier? How much listening to these speakers did you do before buying? What do you want to listen to by way of music? How do you think a different receiver will affect the sound you get from the LS50s? You seem to be basing your question on what you have read or heard about these different receivers rather than what they sound like.

Audio kit is expensive and we don't like wasting our money. But the fact remains that the receivers you mention are really deigned to work with (e.g.) BluRay, DVD, home cinema, whatever you call it. So they are designed to maximise impact from explosions, sound effects, directional wizardry as the Battlestar Galactica wooshes past you at hyperlight speeds and so on. If they make a decent fist of music as well, think yourself lucky. I have a Denon receiver from 2011 and with TV, films and such it sounds great (with a 5-channel B&W speaker system). With music, such as Youtube classical or jazz or classic rock clips, it sounds - impressive. But not realistic. An audio system should sound realistic, or believable, so that you forget the equipment and listen to the voice/orchestra/Beach Boys/Beatles/solo piano/whatever. I am lucky and have a different system for that.

My view (not all will agree) is surround sound and film sound and detailed musical sound can't be got from the same equipment, whatever the manufacturers say. So it depends what you want. Ask for a decent demo of your speakers (using Music you know very well) and listen to what you hear. Don't part with your money if you can;t hear the difference.

Jeff

Jeff Lee, Jul 2, 2018
  3. Mr. Hoogerson

hatehifi

I agree with Jeff wholeheartedly. Imho, the most important link in the stereo hifi chain is the [pre]amp. There is already much info on the Net as to best pairing amp for your transducers. Spend some time informing yourself. I’d return that receiver, consult your dealer ASAP! Unfortunately he might not have the ‘right‘ amp in his offerings.

Consider as well stands and speaker wire. A relatively modest investment in speaker wires and unterconnects is Reson/DNM, I‘ve found, though I personally use German Highend (silver vs. copper).

Like in wires, so it goes with amps, a hefty step up in the ladder comes financially dearer. Many aficionados go DIY or purchase price used to counter such outlay.

The purchasing of hifi gear should be well thought out prior to moving forward or you might find rash impulse buying, „trading up,“ wasteful and regrettable.

If you are in to vinyl I suggest the first model Crayon CFA-1/40 second hand, supposing your listening room isn’t enormous and that you can place the speakers properly.

Good luck and cheers!

hatehifi, Jul 3, 2018
  4. Mr. Hoogerson

Roxbrough

Never shoot speakers, it damages them.

Roxbrough, Jul 3, 2018
Ask a Question