Sacred Music series on BBC4

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by sandgrownun, Apr 8, 2008.

1. sandgrownun

sandgrownun

Has anyone been watching this series? It's what I hope the BBC will make when I hand over my license fee. Intelligent exploration of early sacred music at the time of the Reformation by actor Simon Russell Beale with support from The Sixteen in performance. Programmes so far have centred on Palestrina and contemporaries representing the Catholic church and last weekend's was Tallis and Byrd in the formation of the Church of England. Bach and the Lutherans to follow.

http://open2.net/sacredmusic/

sandgrownun, Apr 8, 2008
  2. sandgrownun

artisan_audio Audio explorer

I agree. An excellent programme - it has some depth whilst still being accessible. I'm surprised it's tucked away on BBC4.

artisan_audio, Apr 8, 2008
  3. sandgrownun

Coda II getting there slowly

Does it not strike you that they made a really good set of programmes with Simon Russell Beale and the Sixteen singing some great music in wonderful locations - then gave the lot to a media studies student along with a pile of stock footage, some filters and wobbly cam effects and said try not to let the audience hear more than 30 seconds of music - even though we have gone to a lot of trouble to record it - and try not to let them take in the architecture of these places, think modern context - girls in t-shirts if it's Florence, mounted policemen if it's London...

nonetheless have still enjoyed it despite the editing!

Coda II, Apr 9, 2008
  4. sandgrownun

sandgrownun

Coda, if you want the CDs of performances by The Sixteen, buy them (on Coro, correction). This is a TV programme that is presumably hoping it can attract a wider audience than would be achieved from a straight concert recording. It puts religion, culture, architecture and music together and gives context to the music as a result. I agree that the editing is done by someone younger than I, more concerned with visual effects and with an eye to a "glossy magazine" presentation. I hope the series makes a material addition to fans of music of this era, and I think it might!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2008
    sandgrownun, Apr 9, 2008
  5. sandgrownun

ntvinh986

Hi all!
    I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

ntvinh986, Oct 27, 2009
  6. sandgrownun

joel Shaman of Signals

What's Organum then?

joel, Oct 28, 2009
Ask a Question