scalford hall hifi show 2011

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zanash, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zanash

zanash

well don't hold your breath as its not going to happen ....chesterfield group arn't making enough money from I guess ?

seems wigwamers are being kept in the dark ...can't think why

Its seems a great pity as it was very well attended in 2010 and a lot of people had gone to a great deal of effort too .....

maybe if we make enough noise ...this event might happen ?

zanash, Jun 28, 2010
  2. zanash

flatpopely Trade - AudioFlat

May I enquire as to the source of this info? Have the Chester group said this publicly?

It would be a shame as the show is unique and a right laugh. Perhaps all the forums should group together to organise it. I'd happily be inloved in the organisation.

flatpopely, Jun 28, 2010
  3. zanash

Richard Dunn

They know about it, it seems they are just pretending it isn't happening.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?42548-Scalford-2011-No-Chester-Group

But surprise surprise, look who is the instigator of the thread and the head disser :rolleyes:

Or go to http://thehifisubjectivist.noadforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17&start=140 page 15 to see how I know.

Anyway if I hadn't agreed to pay to do it and flatty hadn't reluctently scraped his pocket to find a few quid it wouldn't have happened last year, for which I got nothing but insult and trouble as can be seen from the above thread. I want Scalford to go ahead it is not the same as the London Bake-Off show, there is no competition as some wiggers want to make out. I would happily sponsor it again as by doing so I am promoting my industry ethos, but James wont speak to me.

Richard Dunn, Jun 28, 2010
  4. zanash

Purite Audio Purite Audio

They don't need Chester group to organise that show, Chester brought nothing to it.
    Keith.

Purite Audio, Jun 28, 2010
  5. zanash

I really want this show to happen, its totally without equal.

flatpopely, Jun 28, 2010
  6. zanash

Richard Dunn

I have nagged about this for two years, in public and privately to James (when he briefly would speak to me), but the man is scared, chicken shit scared of losing money. Chester Group saw potential to make money out of it as the risk takers (that is what business is) but they wanted to control the anarchic nature of the forums, which is impossible. So seeing as they could only just about break-even against cost (1st year they lost, last year they made a little profit), yet they still had the aggravation, according to Justin Bird at Chester Group the plug is pulled.

7. zanash

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

If we could get 60 guaranteed attendees to agree to pay £10 each, we could host our own PFM/Wigwam/ZG show.

Attendees bringing their own stuff.

With £600, we could hire a B&B for the weekend, and just use all the rooms :)

Personally, I think it would be fantastic, as long as there was no trade involvement, simply people bringing their own kit, mixture of shop/internet/DIY made.

A ''hobbyist show'' would kick-arse all over the likes of the Bristol show in terms of actually being interesting and fun.

I agree - ''who needs Chester group'' ??

2-3 enthusiast organisers, and we would be away.

I like the ''dunkirk'' spirit of all that.

bottleneck, Jun 28, 2010
  8. zanash

James needs to charge, the exhibitors to cover the costs and then ( possibly )reimburse after the show, if they can't or won't pay then the show doesn't deserve to go ahead, pretty straightforward I would have thought.
    Keith.

9. zanash

RobHolt Moderator

What are the costs for the event?

What sort of figure needs to be found?

RobHolt, Jun 28, 2010
  10. zanash

...actually, a ''holiday let'' home could be easily rented.

It's amazing how many demo rooms you could fit into a 4-5 bed place of size.

bottleneck, Jun 28, 2010
  11. zanash

Richard Dunn

That is what the London Bake-Off show is, look at the threads here and at PF and Subjectivist and Art of Sound - it is a joint forum venture, that I am happy to underwrite the cost of and would happily do the same at Wigwam Pie-Fi show.

I see me underwriting it only as a temp measure to give people the confidence to do it all themselves including the risk taking.

12. zanash

James would know, I thought I heard £2kish I could be completely wrong on that though.
    Keith.

13. zanash

That is extremely generous Richard.
    Keith.

14. zanash

bottleneck, Jun 28, 2010
  15. zanash

I would be more than happy to help organise.

flatpopely, Jun 28, 2010
  16. zanash

seconded.

bottleneck, Jun 28, 2010
  17. zanash

Richard Dunn

The London Bake-Off show is costing a flat £1000 to hire the hotel wing (of a big 4 star hotel), so at £10 per person it needs 100 attendees to break even. But even if it doesn't with a profitable business that pays tax doing the sponsoring the loss can be set against tax.

18. zanash

RobHolt Moderator

Contrast that with the £1500 or so for a room at one of the London shows or Bristol!

RobHolt, Jun 28, 2010
  19. zanash

Richard Dunn

That is cost to a trade company to show its products. That model goes ahead but with lower cost locations as the industry shrinks, like Whittlebury Hall.

The forum show is just an extension of the bake-off concept, and you can organise these now for no cost at each other houses. The bake-off show just extends this and adds cost. There should be no trade rooms, last years Scalford was a one off just to keep the concept going and my room cost me £500 and I was the *only* trade member willing to do it, apart from records and bits and bobs sellers in the foyer. There was one other trade member who part paid for his room reluctantly :rolleyes:

It is a concept that needs nurturing and helping along, but look at the threat it presents to the mainstream industry of manufacturers and retailers and magazines. None will help promote it and most want the concept to die as they lose control of the market place if it succeeds.

End user and customers thinking for themselves and comparing equipment without a salesman or marketing man controlling the dem, heaven forbid :rolleyes:

This is just part of the process of the enthusiast taking back *his* industry from the slurpers.

20. zanash

Contrast that to the Euros 15k a room costs at the Munich 'Hi-End'.

Ask a Question