Scott visits Singapore

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by scott_01, Aug 31, 2009.

1. scott_01

scott_01

I don't think so Markus

There were no covers over the grills and the drivers look different. I'll see if I can brighten one of my pictures up.

I'll e-mail the dealer too.

scott_01, Sep 9, 2009
  2. scott_01

the_young_once budget-conscious

I was just a "browser" in this forum without an account, but when I saw your write-ups I had to sign up! Am I one of the few, or the only one from Singapore here?

I saw the banner reading "......Zerogain visits Singapore....." and I thought it was an ad or something that simply pops out MY location, but on following the link, it's much more than that!

Small talk aside, how did you like your visit to Singapore Scott? Before delving into any equipment discussion, the thing that irked me (or caught my attention at least) was how you mentioned the retailers at The Adelphi were very "open" and customer-friendly? I would like the correct that--not so much to us locals if you don't look the part, mind you, I was an undergraduate student when I first joined the stereo fraternity and got my first proper kit (which at the time, sounded astounding to me, but I digress);

So I was shopping around in The Adelphi, and I definitely don't look like I had a lot of spending power, and what I received at 3 or so shops was enough to deter me from entering any others, in a nutshell, I think what you described as the treatment you get in shops in the UK was very much what I got: If you ask too many questions, and don't seem to be going anywhere/actually purchasing something, well it's unspoken but you will feel the heat in a minute!

That said, the shops I went to were mostly only interested in giving me verbal "summaries" of what they have on sale, and only one (which I entered) offered me the luxury of a sit-down and listen, and even then, I had a difficult time getting out of the shop or expressing my intention of "just looking around, checking out the gear (not buying)"

That said, I think you have to look the part (from a local point of view), a middle-aged person would have more cred and hence receive more preferential treatment than the teenager with a thin wallet drooling at the equipment;

But enough of the rant already, hope you enjoyed your visit and sharing with the rest of the folks on this forum;

PS: The exchange rate works in you guys' favour, but sadly does not apply to us locals, cheers

the_young_once, Sep 9, 2009
  3. scott_01

scott_01

That's a genuinely good point mate. We've all been there, in every country and in every type of shop. HiFi ones can be especially bad for it at times.

FWIW, I'm 30, generally scruffy and went into every shop sweating profusely (the heat you see), in a pair of shorts and a T shirt. I didn't look like I had thousands to spend (indeed I didn't).

I really did find all the places friendly, I would have been happy to slate them if required but I didn't need to.

I do think that Jaben network would welcome anyone with open arms, I wasn't the oldest person in there but most people were considerably younger and seemed to be getting every bit as good a service as I was. If you want to ask about vinyl then try CD Sounds as he struck me as especially friendly.

I did enjoy Singapore and thanks for your comments.

scott_01, Sep 9, 2009
  4. scott_01

the_young_once budget-conscious

Hi Scott, thanks for the reply, yes I guess that happens but in the end, I managed to scope out a shop (also in The Adelphi) dealing in used equipment and hence within my budget, managed to get something set up few years ago;

still using parts of the original setup now--as with most of us I'm sure upgrading is a step-by-step process! :D

Thanks for the heads up on these few outlets, will at least drop in the next time I'm there! Na, I don't have a vinyl source, not at that stage yet, still on (cheaper) CD source for now, and I reckon you covered those also in your write-ups, there are some shops there that deal specifically with quality CDs: be it must-have recordings or "audiophile" formats like HDCD and SACD etc.. yes, DVD-A didn't really catch on here

Again, thanks for your reviews, interviews (no less!) and pictures definitely these would give the rest here in ZeroGain something to look out for when in Singapore :)

the_young_once, Sep 9, 2009
  5. scott_01

scott_01

There is another place I didn't really cover as it is elsewhere. It's called 'WELL AUDIO LAB' and is near Sim Lim Square and sells 'Sun Audio' valve kits and Airtight amps too.

You might try there.

Scott

scott_01, Sep 9, 2009
  6. scott_01

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Hello Scott,

Class work sir, nicely balanced and well through out, and a lot of time spent. A star mate :)
    A really quality job Scott.
    Cheers Tony

wadia-miester, Sep 10, 2009
  7. scott_01

firestorm

Hi Scott,
    A very nice writeup - thanks for taking the time to describe to us.
    Cheers
    fs

firestorm, Sep 12, 2009
  8. scott_01

jimdgoulding Manufacturer

Very nice report, sir! There is a new online journal just this month called HiFi Zine- The Independent Audio Webzine with coverage of a couple of smaller shows in the states and articles about and by independent manufacturers worth knowing about. Nice layout, too. The editor (from Sydney, AU) is encouraging of contributors and critics. I know this because he published an article from me about some consistently excellent labels. Have a read at your leisure. Again, nice report. It is a pleasure.

jimdgoulding, Jun 12, 2010
Ask a Question