Seeking guidance with speaker decision - Vintage versus New - specific models

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mschool, Jan 5, 2020.

1. mschool

mschool

(First time poster)
    I have been researching speakers. It’s been very tough to hear used speakers in advance of sale, so I have been going to audio shops and listening to new products and searching for sale of same (used) online. To date, I have narrowed down my search to a 3-way tower and a 3-way bookshelf. The bookshelf is a vintage 1992 Victor SX-700 Spirit for $350 that have been refurbished and come with a 90-day warranty from an audio shop. I am attracted to the fact that they are very clear at low volume.

The tower is a Yamaha NS-F500 3-way tower. Both speakers match my amp. The Yamaha’s come up for sale as pairs for close to the same price as the Victor.

Can anyone help me to understand and compare the specs of these speakers, so that I can make an informed decision. Again, it is vintage versus new, and I like both.

Victor SX-700 Spirit (Browsers should translate to your native language)
    http://knisi2001.web.fc2.com/sx-700...117q_SgbL85-RLDT5kOlyJzhg-UYzMwkLbwPj62e2WtWw

Yamaha NS-F500 (English document)
    https://sg.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/speaker_systems/ns-f500/specs.html

Note - I recently retired in Japan and am studying Japanese. I am self-educating myself on audio. Current system is Denon DP-47F TT, Onkyo A-9010 AMP, Denon DCD 1550 AR CD Player, Sennheiser HD 558 headphones

Room size is 2.39 M high, 2.62 M wide, 4.37 M long

mschool, Jan 5, 2020
Ask a Question