Selling a faulty amp - What method?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Aug 5, 2008.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I have an old Marantz PM6010 OSE amp which I have owned since new but has been gathering dust for 18 months because there is a fault on the balance pot.

These amps are worth around £70 in working order, so mine won't be worth a lot, but it weighs a tonne so selling it on ebay is not practicle as delivery would cost £20 alone.

Any other ideas in order to sell this? I have thought about a car boot sale and selling it as faulty but I would imagine the market for this is too limited.

How much would this fault cost to fix? The right channel just often cuts out, and wiggeling the balance pot fixed this for a few minutes.

amazingtrade, Aug 5, 2008
  2. amazingtrade

zanash

be honest !

zanash, Aug 5, 2008
  3. amazingtrade

I intend to sell it as faulty don't worry :).

4. amazingtrade

kmac

I hear the price of scrap metal is quite high these days......

kmac, Aug 5, 2008
  5. amazingtrade

Yeah there will be a lot of metal in it, its a very very heavy unit, however dismantling it will be a bit of a pain.

It is only a dry joint so it seems a shame to scrap it, I have put it on ebay starting at £20 so I will see what happens. It is collection only to solve the weight problem.

6. amazingtrade

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Maybe find someone who knows what they are about and get it fixed. If its really only a dry joint, it should be an easy, cheap fix and need no parts.

Uncle Ants, Aug 5, 2008
  7. amazingtrade

Well my local HIFI shop wanted £30 for the repair. I have no use for it its just been taking up space for the past two years I just need a massive clear out to help pay of my overdraft.

8. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

whilst talking about it - why don't you advertise it on the forums - free of charge afterall... ;)

mr cat, Aug 5, 2008
  9. amazingtrade

greenhomeelectr

Go to your nearest Maplin shop and buy an aerosol of switch cleaner. Unplug your amp, open it up, locate the balance pot. You will see a small hole or an opening where the contacts come out of it. Aim your contact cleaner and give it a brief squirt. Twiddle the knob (ooh er missus) full range a few times. Do all the others while you are in there. Bet you a fiver it fixes it. If you are not sure what you are doing replace the lid before plugging your amp back in.
    Best of luck
    Dave.

greenhomeelectr, Aug 6, 2008
  10. amazingtrade

If only I saw that earlier :). I have sold it now for £31 on ebay, which is a price I am happy with, when I opened it up trying to repair it last time there was just so many daugterboards restricting access to the pot.

All my Marantz gear has gone faulty at one point :(, touch would my Cambridge 640a has been fine.

amazingtrade, Aug 12, 2008
Ask a Question