Shark Phono

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by rmorris, Aug 23, 2007.

1. rmorris

rmorris

Right - doesn't get much simpler than this BUT - Shark ( Maplin) Phono plugs with grubscrew . How is the cable screen supposed to connect. The screw doesn't appear to have anything against which to tighten ? Unless the cable itself which seems wrong as its not 'solid'. I have shark cable yet still don't get it.
    It's not like I'm not used to this stuff - I design electronics and used to do pro-audio stuff but I'm missing something here.
    Hello to everyone reading btw. I'm new to this forum.
    Thanks in advance to anyone with input.
    btw I have submited a query to Maplin but no response on the webite yet.

rmorris, Aug 23, 2007
  2. rmorris

zanash

if I remember correctly as its been a while[years] since I used these ......the signal is easy to the centre pin but the ground return in your case the screen needs to be connected [soldered] to the body , if the plug has a thin bar to the rear of the body use this, if not you have to solder to the most convinient point. you need to gather the screen and twist to make a small cable usually. You can use another wire to wrap round the cable and form a tail ....

the grub screw is realy there just to hold the cable to the outer jacket ...I always add heat shrink as well belt and bracers ...looks nicer to.

what cable are you using ?

pm me if you need any more help

zanash, Aug 23, 2007
  3. rmorris

rmorris

thanks

Thanks for the response. So I wasn't missing something completely. And yes, I agree about the heatshrink.
    I have AQ56L (7mm) connectors and also some larger Shark 'BOMB' phonos witha larger cable entry.
    No bar on either so it's a question of soldering as normal as you say.
    Cable is the blue Shark XS39N Single core Pair.

Cablewise I'm not convinced by the more esoteric meanderings but I do know that these cables have excellent screening properties with a 100% coverage film under a high quality braid which should take care of the full frequency range if that's an issue.
    As an aside I know that this type of cable works well rejecting rf in an EMC test chamber where it's being used for the video signal from the cctv.
    ( If i recall correctly it's actually the 2 core twisted pair cable being used there but other twisted pairs suffered from rf interference).
    Regards

rmorris

rmorris, Aug 28, 2007
Ask a Question