She saved the world, a lot

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by auric, Dec 19, 2003.

1. auric

auric FOSS

auric, Dec 19, 2003
  2. auric

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

As a Sky customer I have been Buffy-less for best part of a year now. Life is not the same. Welcome to the emptyness of our world...

Tony.

TonyL, Dec 19, 2003
  3. auric

auric FOSS

I'll just have to make do with
    [​IMG]
    until the DVDs arrive.

Auric:(

auric, Dec 19, 2003
  4. auric

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

The only Buffy worth watching is the Kristy Swanson version IMHO - the TV series took itself too seriously; mind you, Willow was worth watching...

Why do men fancy Sarah Michelle Geller anyway - never saw the attraction personally... (I'd still do her though!)

domfjbrown, Dec 22, 2003
  5. auric

julian2002 Muper Soderator

dom,
    i'm sorry, but saying that buffy the tv series took itself seriously is just mad. the whole premise of the series (a tenage cheerleader who battles vampires) is ludicrous in the extreme. if you compare it to the other long running popular fantasy series - star trek (not the origional series though) then buffy has it's tongue firmly stuck in it's cheek plus it's fans don't speak vampire at you. angel too is far more serious than buffy which fits with the darker subject matter although the premise that evils representatives on earth are a firm of lawyers makes me think that the writers aren;t too serious about it all either.

i'm with you on the alison hannigan / sarah michelle gellar thing though, there's somethign about smg's nose that's just wrong.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 22, 2003
  6. auric

Mark67

I have got to admit I thought this final series was a series too many. It was absolute pants from start to finish.
    All those trainee 'slayers', none of which could act, was taking the programme down the drain.

It was a shame 'cause I thought it was a good series, well 1 to 6 anyway. But now it's gone and the BBC will no doubt repeat the whole lot again starting in 2005 till 2012.

BTW I always thought that Willow was better looking than Buffy, I just wish I was a Lesbian :eek:.

Mark67, Dec 22, 2003
  7. auric

auric FOSS

Hmmm. . . . a Flat Earth Buffy??

Auric:D

auric, Dec 22, 2003
  8. auric

MartinC Trainee tea boy

As Buffy she never did anything for me at all; Cruel Intentions is a different matter entirely though :p

Buffy series 1-5 were good fun but series 6 was utter shite; so much so that I probably wouldn't have bothered with series 7 if I didn't know it would be the last. 7 was slightly better than 6, but the ending was even more naff than I'd expected.

Oh, and as for the TV series taking itself too serisoulsy? Utterly ridiculous. It's almost entirely tongue in cheek. Watch "Once more with feeling" sometime if you don't believe me...

MartinC, Dec 22, 2003
  9. auric

auric FOSS

I think the success of Buffy owes a lot to the internet by allowing the consolidation of a huge and rapidly growing fan base while controlling then release of product by creator, merchandiser and PR people; a rather good marriage between commerce and fans. The mix of character is inspired, you can choose from Flat Earth Buffy, Round Earth Cordelia, Bi-wired Willow and Exotic Anya – a good weekly dose of escapism is just what the doctor and PR people ordered.

Auric:)

auric, Dec 22, 2003
  10. auric

It DOES take itself too seriously - watch the movie and then tell me it DOESN'T. The movie is comedy - pure class; even the gags in Buffy the TV series are serious compared to that. I mean, how can you miss when a supposedly dead vampire comes back in the end credits going "ooh, aaaah, oooh, aaah" with a stake hanging out of his heart, or when Buffy says "*I* have no sense of history? He still wears a brown tie!". If you can find me one bit in the Buffy series' that's funnier than the movie let me know.

MInd you, I only managed to stomach about 1 episode from each series (the first episode usually - so these should be fantastic right?) so I'm probably missing a whole thing.

SMG is the daughter of Cryton - just look at that nose. It mings. Mind you, I'm with you guys on her in Cruel Intentions - yum yum. Shame she didn't repeat the female snog/saliva thing from THAT movie with Willow in Buffy hey??

domfjbrown, Dec 23, 2003
  11. auric

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Hmmm..., well for my money the film is a load of naff rubbish, which looks spectacularly weak compared to the TV series. That 'joke' at the end is pathetic in my book; funny if you're five maybe ;) Oh dear, I can't believe I'm trying to defend Buffy here; I'm not a proper fan by any means! The only joke I can think of off the top of my head was a bit in the final series where Spike says something like "Who you gonna call?", pauses, and then adds "That lines never going to be useable again is it?".

Go on, watch a series some time, you know you want to :) I'm not so much applying this to all Buffy series, but in general I find TV series now have the scope to be much better than films, as they have so much more time for character development etc. Series like Six Feet Under and The West Wing for instance.

Oh, if you haven't seen "Once more with feeling", the musical Buffy episode, check out the DVD sometime. There's no taking itself too seriously there :D

MartinC, Dec 24, 2003
  12. auric

It's not like I religously AVOID the TV series or anything, but it just doesn't do much for me either; I got the movie when at Uni so after a few :MILD: :guiness: it was always fun - plus it's what I grew up with :)

I think my favourite line is "Does the word "duh" mean anything to you?" - pure class!!!! Then again, "Oh great - my secret weapon is PMS!" is pretty good too ;)

domfjbrown, Dec 26, 2003
  13. auric

auric FOSS

4TonyL - she is back so set your video

Buffy The Vampire Slayer
    Sat 17 Jan, 1:00 am - 1:40 am 40mins

Lessons: Buffy and Dawn fight off vengeful spirits in the newly rebuilt Sunnydale High. Meanwhile, Spike struggles with his sanity and Giles rehabilitates Willow in England.

auric, Jan 11, 2004
  14. auric

sideshowbob Trisha

I like Buffy, mostly it seems quite smart for an American TV series, with lots of quite grown-up jokes. Anya's very pleasant to look at, as well.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jan 11, 2004
  15. auric

Seen it! That's series 7 episode 1.

Tony.

TonyL, Jan 11, 2004
  16. auric

auric FOSS

So have I but they might include the after post-watershed jokes so Imho it is worth a look. I see from the press that Angle is back for a new series on SKY, not too keen on it but it is better than nothing when it gets on CH4 or CH5.

Auric

auric, Jan 11, 2004
  17. auric

I like Angel, the last series was really funny – it seems to be moving further away from the straight gothic feel it started with and is now packed with great one liners in true Buffy style. Cordilia just cracks me up. I bet now Buffy has finished a few of the characters will end up appearing more regularly in Angel, which would be good.

Tony.

TonyL, Jan 11, 2004
  18. auric

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I thought the hottest looker was the ''bad girl slayer'' cant remember her name. A brunette. Fwoar. What was her name?

Willow was quite cute aswell.

Didnt like the programme though. I always wanted a vamp to land a lucky punch and smash Buffys nose! hehe......I think the idea was to support buffy, but I never could..

Chris

bottleneck, Jan 11, 2004
  19. auric

Gambit Junior Vice President

She was called "Faith" in the series but is in fact, the lovely Eliza Dushku :

Attached Files:

Gambit, Jan 12, 2004
  20. auric

Wahey... The new series of Angel starts in 15 minutes on Sky 1.

Tony.

TonyL, Jan 13, 2004
Ask a Question