shelf life of tt cartridge???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rob, Sep 11, 2003.

1. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

ive noticed a few second hand cartridges on e bay and i was just wondering if it is a good idea to buy one.i know that carts can deteriorate over time and even an unplayed stylus can as well but has anyone ever bought a second hand cartridge?

rob, Sep 11, 2003
  2. rob

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Its not somthing I would do as these cartridges may have been dropped etc plus you would never really know how old it is and how longs its been used for.

amazingtrade, Sep 11, 2003
  3. rob

zanash

It's not the stylus it's the rubber suspension that degrades. If the pollution is bad, high sulpher dioxide, this makes the rubber compound go hard and therefore degrades the performance of the cart. The stylus can wear out, or be damaged along with the cantilever but these should regarded as noermal wear and tear. Even the very best looked after cart may suffer from material degredation.

zanash, Sep 12, 2003
    wallace likes this.
  4. rob

The Devil IHTFP

You should always look for the 'best before' date. This is usually stamped on the top of the cartridge body. HTH.

The Devil, Sep 12, 2003
  5. rob

titian

I would only buy a second hand cartridge if I know or can trust the seller and if the cartridge was not longer used as 100-150 hours.

Though, for some of the very expensive cartridges there is also something like a trade in deal. For example I can send my 4 years old, fully functional, Clearaudio Accurate to the factory and I would get a new one for 40% of its price. If you can buy such a second hand cartridge for a few quids then you would be able to get a new one for less than half the price! Nevertheless I wouldn't do such a deal because you never know if the factory finds something which is broken and wouldn't give you a new one for 40%.

titian, Sep 12, 2003
  6. rob

merlin

I would only take a chance on a second hand cartridge if it could be picked up for say 50% of the trade in value.

BTW Titian, why are you selling the Nestorovics:eek: :confused:

merlin, Sep 12, 2003
  7. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

mmmm perhaps i should save my pennys and get a new one.
    theyr damn expencive though.

rob, Sep 12, 2003
  8. rob

titian

There is a new version of these Type 4 available and they seem to have a better mid-High range. :rolleyes:
    Mr. Nestorovic doesn't recommend me to switch over to the new version of his subwoofers but the satellites would have a great impact in the quality of my system (considering the phono stage and other components which I am using). :eek:

I must not necessarily sell the ones I have because I could use them (or a pair) when I will make my home cinema as rear speakers..

titian, Sep 12, 2003
  9. rob

sktn77a

Never buy a used/NOS/NIB/etc etc cartridge. It’s impossible to tell if it’s never been used. Chances are it’s got a couple thousand hours on it and will ruin your records!

sktn77a, May 12, 2020
Ask a Question