Should I replace KEF 104AB's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Jezza, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Jezza

Jezza

I have had a pair of KEF 104AB's for about 18 years which have recently been re-capped. I like them but am wondering if I would benefit from some more modern speakers.
    I have an Arcam A85 amp, Thorens TD150 and a Yamaha CD network player/DAB.
    I used to have a Quad 33/303 and ELS57 set up, but it all needed servicing and repair so I bought new equipment including Mission 733's, but found them a bit harsh and discovered the 104AB's suprisingly cheap at a boot sale for £10. I preferred them to the Missions, they seemed more natural and open.
    Given their age and advances in design, would modern speakers now be better?

I have a budget of around £600 .

Jezza

Jezza, Nov 16, 2019
  2. Jezza

Dissily Mordentroge

I’d suggest you start auditioning the current KEF range. Start with the KEF Q300 a little over your budget if you buy new but perfect for your amp. If you’re willing to go second hand there are some really tempting bargains out there. You could also audition Q Audio Concept 20’s.
    If looking for KEF’s try and find models with the ‘Tangerine Wave Guide’. This sits over the tweeter and looks a bit like a lemon squeezer. Makes a huge difference.
    If you’re willing to either wait and save more or sell one of your relatives into slavery one fabulous speaker is the KEF LS 50.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Dissily Mordentroge, Nov 19, 2019
  3. Jezza

Dissily Mordentroge

Dissily Mordentroge, Nov 19, 2019
  4. Jezza

Jezza

Many thanks, I'll look at moder Kef's, Some interesting ideas! Thanks!!

Jezza, Nov 19, 2019
Ask a Question