Sibiences on vinyl records - Turntable problem?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Dec 6, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Just bought a brand new Zutons LP so it shouldn't really have any sibilences. Is this somthing to do with the tracking or could be just be the original recording? Any ideas? My turntables averages 1 hour a day playing and the stylus is 10 months old. The turntable is four years old.

amazingtrade, Dec 6, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

zanash

Ha.....I was plagued for years with the old sib. It was only when I got a really top top notch TT that the dread sib went away.

You didn't say what tt and arm comb your using ?

zanash, Dec 6, 2004
  3. amazingtrade

That my explain the problem, I was probably asking why my Nissan Micra (if I had a car) can't do 160mph. I have a Project Deubut II, thats probably the problem :rolleyes: I haven't really noticed a problem with sibiliences though before.

amazingtrade, Dec 6, 2004
  4. amazingtrade

Graham C

Get a stylus cleaning kit. There is also some special abrasive cleaning paper I used to have when I had a TT, but u need to drag it ONLY one way [on the stylus tip , if that wasn't clear..]. You can see the kak removed if u have a high powered magnifier lense.

Graham C, Dec 7, 2004
  5. amazingtrade

zanash

My Alphason sonata [long since stolen] with its atlas psu was perhaps the most underated TT of its day. This TT abolished all sib ....even poorly setup with a dirty stylus. Unfortunately sib. is a feature of many lower level TT.. as to the answer who knows, I never eradicated it on my lower level TT Thorens pioneer sansui dual which also carried some very good carts dynavector ruby 10X vms20e at33e etc.

zanash, Dec 8, 2004
  6. amazingtrade

Arch well its not too bad, its a bit annoying but I appecriate the other benefits vinyl has to offer so until I win the lottery I shall have to live with it. As soon as I get a full time job a new turntable is the first thing on my list and I will probably go for somthing LP12 standard its either that or a girlfriend but Linn's are far cheaper :p

amazingtrade, Dec 8, 2004
  7. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

AT it's about time you had a go at the latter. If I were you I'd give the girlfriend a go, and wait for an LP12. In fact there's other things I would look for for the same money. Merlins Scout being one. But for now spend your money on beer and women

lordsummit, Dec 9, 2004
  8. amazingtrade

That probably would be the sensible thing to do :) I guess turntables can't make you happy in the same way girls can :p

On the other hand a good turntable is more reliable and they won't trade you in for a better model :)

PS I am just kidding, of course if I had the choice the money would go on a girlfrend and not an object.

amazingtrade, Dec 9, 2004
Ask a Question