Silver Re Wire

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by STELLABAGPUSS, May 26, 2006.

1. STELLABAGPUSS

STELLABAGPUSS Happy Chappy

Just thought I would report in, and let you know what I've been up to. I've just re-wired my Monitor Audio 20SEC Speakers, inside I discovered QED 25TH Ann Cable, so out came that, and replaced with 4n 99.99% Solid Silver. Straight away, a big improvement in speed, and gone is the bloom in the lower frequencies.Also major improvements in the Mid Range Department.
    The following day, I re-wired my Mains 4 Way Junction, and my Amp Mains Power Lead and CD Transport Lead. I purchased all the lead on ebays, and although I was pretty happy, TBH the DIY bug got the better of me. So... I got my Dremel out and cleaned all the plug pins ,Fuses,and juction box up. Removed all that rubbish that they Tin plugs with, then gave everything a nice blast with Cillit Bang....leave for a hour, wash off with water, dry then gives everything a clean with Kontak. I also discovered that again QED cable was being used in the mains cable and 4 way junction! I then rewired the leads using again 4n Silver, 2.5mm on Junction and 1.5mm on Amp and CDP Transport.

Switched back on....and Im quite surprised. Very Clean sound, and TBH a Little hard and Bright and harsh and a lean bass. Although big improvements in the Mid and High, and imageing.I'm certainly hearing things I've never heard before.

Of course I have to be patience, all these changes in 2 days, I suspect I will have to give all the cables time to burn in ?? I hope this is the case, I will report back in a few weeks time.

STELLABAGPUSS, May 26, 2006
  2. STELLABAGPUSS

zanash

Wow.....thats a lot of changes to get used too..

I've pm you !

zanash, May 27, 2006
  3. STELLABAGPUSS

Yes ....alot of changes,thankfully the sound is already starting to settle a little. I'd imagine it will be sorted come 2 or 3 weeks time.

STELLABAGPUSS, May 28, 2006
  4. STELLABAGPUSS

julian2002 Muper Soderator

just as a matter of interest - where did you get the silver cable from and how much was it per meter? also was it single or dual core? did you have to insulate it yourself and were the pairs twisted together?
    thinking of doing something similar with my ipls at some point...
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, May 28, 2006
  5. STELLABAGPUSS

I purchased the Silver from Zanash, he has a good contact and at pretty good prices. I paid £40 inc shipping for a 25 MTR reel of 0.5mm. The Silver isn't insulated, so I purchased some PTFE Clear Sleeve from RS.
    The great thing with this size, it dosen't cost a lot, and you can have a play aroung with different sizes of silver, just by twisting 4 cores to make 1mm 2 and so on for a larger size, just plan ahead and make sure you get the right size sleeve

I know Zanash usings a variable speed Cordless drill to twist the wires nice and tight. I just attach them to junction box and manually turn them by hand, making sure that the wire stays taught when you are twisting.

Making DIY power leads are great fun, as they don't require any soldering. As long as you are used to wiring plugs you shouldn't have any problems, just remember to colour code the sleeves up before you twist them together !!

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2006
    STELLABAGPUSS, May 28, 2006
  6. STELLABAGPUSS

julian2002 Muper Soderator

cheers sbp.

julian2002, May 28, 2006
  7. STELLABAGPUSS

walnut Burrrr....

Don't you need 4 x 0.5mm2 cores to equal 1mm2, or is that just me after a long weekend!

walnut, May 29, 2006
  8. STELLABAGPUSS

zanash

I'd agree with that !!

zanash, May 30, 2006
  9. STELLABAGPUSS

Stand Corrected !! For a Typing error, I've now since edited it so it's correct.

STELLABAGPUSS, May 30, 2006
  10. STELLABAGPUSS

adamdea

Maths query

Sorry to butt in on this one, but isn't 1mm2= 2X 0.5mm2 = 4x ((0.5mm)squared).
    so assuming the 0.5mm2 means half a square millimetre and not half a millimetre squared, you only need 2 to equal one 1mm2.
    I suppose you do need 4 to equal 2 1mm wires on one cable (signal and return):zzzz:
    Feel free to tell me to shut up

adamdea, May 31, 2006
  11. STELLABAGPUSS

zanash

oh......??? that doesn't sound right

using Area of a circle = pi[3.142]x radius squared

so for 0.5mm dia
    A = 3.142x 0.25x 0.25
    A = 0.196sqmm

so for 1mm dia

A= 3.142x 0.5x 0.5
    A= 0.78sqmm

so 4 x 0.5mm dia
    A = 0.196mmsq x 4 = 0.78mmsq

hence you can see that 4 x 0.5mm dia have the same area as a 1mm dia.

zanash, May 31, 2006
  12. STELLABAGPUSS

adamdea

Yes of course you are absolutely right if the 0.5 and 1 are measurements of diameter of the cable in mm not the area of cable in mm2
    I was looking at the query
    "4 x 0.5mm2 cores to equal 1mm2"
    I will get back in my box.

adamdea, May 31, 2006
  13. STELLABAGPUSS

zanash

No problem.....

it got me thinking, which these days is good.....

zanash, May 31, 2006
Ask a Question