Something fun to replace old Naim amps!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Shandy Serious, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Shandy Serious

Shandy Serious

Hi guys,

Just found this forum on my searches for new hifi toys. Looks like you know your stuff so i thought I would ask your advise.:)

My system is as follows..

LP12(heed PS, Ittok, Dynavector D17 mk3)
    Naim CDx2 with CDPS
    Nac72,
    Supercap,
    Nap250
    PMC DB1+ on PMC stands

What i'm looking to do is get a new amp. Primarily I think because i fancy a change and maybe even to free up some space and if i'm lucky cash;). I kinda fancy something valve based but not sure if i will lose too much of what i like about the naim sound (listen to a lot of full on rocky stuff:JPS:). Would love something that works well at low levels and isn't a screachy as the olive stuff can be.

The puresound A30 looks interesting as does the Lavardin stuff. Also spotted the new Densen integrated although maybe with that i will just be swapping like for like. Anyway, your input would be most welcome.

thanks

Shandy Serious, Apr 10, 2008
  2. Shandy Serious

DavidF

Hi SS,

+ welcome!

I made a return to hifi a year or so ago, starting with a 140/72/flat cap combo.........so not up to your level :)

I was advised that perhpts valve were the way to go, so I am now using a dynaox valve amp ....and am very pleased with the results.

With a modded arcam a5, I am now developing a nice 3 D soundstage.

If I had the funds it would be lot of fun to play with different valves (el84s just now.........or is it 34s?.....I always get confused:eek:)

The only thing to mention is that valves(IIRC) don't give quite the power that your naim stuff might (esp a 250.......) so power handling of your speakers might be worth reviewing.

I feel quite sure someone will be along to fill in the bits I've missed ;).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2008
    DavidF, Apr 10, 2008
  3. Shandy Serious

A.N.

i'd say if you want to try valves without spending too much (just in case you dont like the valve sound) try an icon stereo 40i. brill little integrated, higher price would be something like the puresound (offers the valve sweetness, but with the bass of a ss) even higher again, art audio amps are very nice!
    all valves are different, but for me as an integrated amp, the el84 is hard to beat, very sweet sound with a lovely tinkly air.

A.N., Apr 10, 2008
  4. Shandy Serious

RobHolt Moderator

You won't better a 72/SC/250 for pocket money so you need to decide if a simple change of presentation is required or you want something truly superior.

Most tube amps will deliver a different presentation and a very select few won't. The former are wrong and the latter are correct IMO but it depends on your own personal references.
    Naim amps shouldn't sound hard or bright if working to spec -quite the opposite in fact due to careful bandwidth limiting so you might want to look at getting the kit serviced.

RobHolt, Apr 10, 2008
  5. Shandy Serious

Shandy Serious

Hi, thanks for responding.

I am aware that what i have is indeed a wonderful amp combo and I know i will not better it with such amps as mentioned. As i said i think if im honest with myself, the real reason for changing is so i can mess about with new toys.
    I can no longer play the system too loud either and that sadly is what the Naim amps seem happiest doing. So something that sounds ok at lower volumes would be cool. It doesn't have to be valve but they do have a certain appeal and have been told they work better at lower levels than SS amps although i guess this is a sweeping generalisation.

Shandy Serious, Apr 10, 2008
  6. Shandy Serious

Jimbo

Hi welcome. You could try a hybrid amp with valves in the pre and ss power.

Jimbo, Apr 10, 2008
  7. Shandy Serious

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, Apr 10, 2008
Ask a Question