SONUS Faber Musica Power Source Internal 230v to 115V Switch Assistance

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dimasalang, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Dimasalang

Dimasalang

Hi All,

seeking your expert advice and assistance as I recently got a Sonus Faber Musica with european voltage 230V. I am based in NJ USA. I was initially planning to get a step up transformer so I can use it in the 120V outlet. From reading the manual, it seems you can open up the amp and turn the switch over to 115v. I wanted to ask if anyone has an experience or have done this and if there is any further rewiring needed outside of flipping the switch from 230v to 115V. I didnt want to take the chance and ruin the amp. Kindly let me know of your experience regarding this one

Dimasalang, Oct 30, 2020
  2. Dimasalang

Sergeauckland

If the manual says to flip the internal switch, then that's all you need to do. Amplifiers don't care about frequency so the US 60Hz mains won't trouble the amplifier, in fact, it will make the transformer's job a bit easier.

Many amplifiers have dual-voltage mains transformers, and just need the right primaries selected, which is what the switch does.

Some manufacturers try and protect their local markets by not fitting a dual voltage transformer, sensible ones do. The main reason I suppose they fitted an internal switch is to avoid the risk of an external switch being inadvertently moved.

S.

Sergeauckland, Oct 30, 2020
Ask a Question