Sony STR-DA7ES or Yamaha RX-V2500?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by analog64, Jun 14, 2021.

1. analog64

analog64

Looking at 2 older AV receivers, don't want a newer one. A Sony STR-DA7es and a Yamaha RX-V2500. Which would you chhose as the better AV receiver?

analog64, Jun 14, 2021
  2. analog64

Sergeauckland

Looking at the specs for the two, they seem pretty much identical, so there's not a bad decision to be made there.
    The Yamaha quotes a very low standby power of 500mW, the Sony doesn't quote standby power, so that may have a bearing. The Sony has a 4 ohm switch, which may be useful if your loudspeakers are of low impedance, but they don't rate the output at other than 8 ohms, so whether the 4 ohm switch reduces the power supply volts or what is not clear.

If I were in your position, I'd buy on cosmetic appearance (a clean, undamaged unit is likely to have been well treated) and price. If you're buying used from a dealer, then warranty from the dealer may be important. These receivers are very complicated and repairs can be expensive.

S.

Sergeauckland, Jun 14, 2021
  3. analog64

analog64

Based on looks, it would be the Sony, the Yamaha had a 4 ohm setting also, you change it in the setup menu, the Sony has a switch. I'm leaning towards the Sony, the Sony is 45 pounds, the Yamaha is 34 pounds, the Sony retailed for $2500 when new, the Yamaha retailed for $1100. Both are in perfect condition, and the Sony is only $20 bucks more.

analog64, Jun 14, 2021
  4. analog64

Sergeauckland

I agree, for only $20 difference you might as well go for the Sony.

Weight isn't bad criterion to judge these thing on!
    S

Sergeauckland, Jun 14, 2021
  5. analog64

analog64

Someone told me to get the Yamaha because it's THX certified, I told him, THX means nothing, Sony can't THX certify their receivers because it would be a conflict of interest with Lucasfilm, because Sony owns its own production and mastering studios.

analog64, Jun 14, 2021
Ask a Question