Sony STR-K790 suitable for latest TV's? Help!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Havacuppatea, Jan 7, 2023.

1. Havacuppatea

Havacuppatea

Hi All... I've been in the technical wilderness for many years and could do with some advice. I've currently a SONY STR-K790 Receiver, which is perhaps 15+ years old. It's equipped with 4 surround speakers, 1 centre, and a sub-woofer. It's underfloor hardwired, looks the part in the lounge, and offers true surround sound. The connected hardware is Sky Q, DVD player, and a TV perhaps 10+ years old. State of the Art or what :). I'm looking to upgrade my old TV to something in the £700-£800 price point. (50/55 inch). The question is... is it worth sticking with my old Sony Receiver? Will it connect ok? Can it satisfy the requirements of the latest TV's? Would I be better simply scrapping my old receiver and buying a new Sound Bar regards maximising the latest TV features? I'd only be looking to spend say £300 on a soundbar as my total budget is around £1k. Any advice on the best way forwards would be greatly appreciated. Best. Barrie.

Havacuppatea, Jan 7, 2023
  2. Havacuppatea

Sergeauckland

Keep your old receiver and 'speakers. They will be far far better than any sound-bar.
    10 years is nothing for decent kit, and anything more recent won't be any better unless you're going to spend a lot more than £1000.

S.

Sergeauckland, Jan 13, 2023
Ask a Question