Soundblaster Live/XP echoeing sound problem - any ideas!?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by domfjbrown, Apr 15, 2005.

1. domfjbrown

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

My SBLive has started sounding phasey, like a "reprocessed for stereo" sound, for no apparent reason. I've reinstalled drivers and checked all settings a couple of times now, and nothing seems to work!

Any ideas?

When I uninstalled SB's "Audio HQ" and went with the generic Windows driver - it worked properly (but you can't set up midi/digital i/o using that).

I'm stumped!

It used to do this if GTA Vice City hung, but a reset/restart cured it. NO more.

I reinstalled an old 3.5inch floppy on Sunday - could the DMA for that be screwing with the soundcard? I have tried uninstalling it to no avail! Alternatively, could a soundcard be dislodged enough to work, but not work properly (I don't think this is the case, but you never know right?

Bloody computers - I'm sick of them to be quite honest. If I hadn't just got Dias's kingpin mansion in GTA, I'd have thrown the computer down the stairs by now!!!!

domfjbrown, Apr 15, 2005
  2. domfjbrown

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

The installation of the floppy drive might have upset it through PCI traffic. The soundblaster live cards were not properly PCI compliant, and had huge problems with the Via 686B southbridge chip in particular. Motherboard manufacturers managed to overcome the problems by providing bios settings that avoided upsetting the SB card.

Get yourself an aureon. :p

I-S, Apr 15, 2005
  3. domfjbrown

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Isaac - money money money! (what's this aureon??).

Anyway, it works fine now - it was a very strange problem in the speaker jack - the cable was flaking out, but I've NEVER heard effects like THAT from a dodgy connection before!!!

domfjbrown, Apr 18, 2005
Ask a Question