Soundlab

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by anon_bb, May 10, 2007.

1. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Anyone heard the larger soundlab models like the majestic, prostat and u1? I would be interested to know if the sound lab claims about having the bass, dynamics and absolute loudness other stats lack is true, particularly with the px panel option.

Thanks

Nick

anon_bb, May 10, 2007
  2. anon_bb

Tenson Moderator

Sorry I don't know the answer, but just wondering why you are interested in electrostatics in particular? You would not be able to claim having an 'accurate' low distortion system anymore and they often beam excessively.

What they do very well though, is openness and transparency. If its that which you like I'd have thought a speaker along the lines (if not the) Linkwitz Orion would be right up your street. Low disto of good dynamic drivers and the transparency of open baffle and dipole bass.

Tenson, May 10, 2007
  3. anon_bb

Gregm

The A1

I have heard the A1.
    Dunno about the option. For the rest, let's say the claims hold in relative terms.
    The bog standard A1 I heard did offer dynamic contrast and a substantial degree of loudness -- all that compared to other panels. Put simply, they seemed less prone to kicking the bucket if pushed. The upper mids were extremely well presented.
    A refreshing attribute: the mid bass was nicely presented; full and seemingly in phase with the mids. It also seemed to me that dispersion was unusually extended: i.e. wider than I expected for a panel -- maybe an artefact or a result of the curved shape, but there nevertheless.
    For full orchestral music I expect an external woof ("subwoof") is necessary for large rooms.

Mind you, you need a lot of energy (power) to drive these particular spkrs -- more than you'd expect if you went by their 1kHz sensitivity rating (which is quite high if I remember correctly).

Cheers

Gregm, May 11, 2007
  4. anon_bb

hifi addict

There is a pair of Soundlab A1's for sale at hifiguy. for £2995. far too cheap.

hifi addict, May 11, 2007
Ask a Question