Speaker Cables for £3.00?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by dreftar, Apr 7, 2006.

1. dreftar

dreftar

I have been doing a wee bit of thinking about speaker cables. I am not an electronics wizard or anything but from what I know, when electricity (AC) is travelling along a wire resistance impedes its flow, an electromagnetic effect is created and capacitance may occur between the cables. In order to minimise the resistance and provide better current flow, I used single core copper wire (4 for Bi Amping) -wire is that which is used in domestic earth wiring - 30p per metre. This wire has high current handling and low resistance. The resistance is also kept low by keeping the cable as short as possible. Interference from other cables carrying ac by capacitance and EMI may also affect the signal received by the speaker. The set up for the cable is similar to a balanced antenna feed used in amateur radio. The only difference being that four wires are used instead of two as I found significant benefits form Bi Amping with my speakers (Elac 310 I's) and amps (2 Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro's).

Capacitance is kept to a minimum by using single core cable and insulated spacers between the cables. I think that multi-strand cable may not be the best way to go.

Once connected up I found the sound sweeter with definite benefits at the bottom end - Detailing is not as sharp as it might be but it is very musical and an unfortunate side effect is that the volume control keeps edging up!

For Three pounds - you have to wonder why commercial cables are so expensive!

I wonder what it would sound with solid silver, single core wire.

See the pic for details

http://www.zerogain.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=709&stc=1&d=1144409700
    Dscf0015small.jpg

Attached Files:

dreftar, Apr 7, 2006
  2. dreftar

zanash

I agree entirely..............

I use a similar principle in my pure silver solid core ones

zanash, Apr 8, 2006
Ask a Question