Speaker change: from 2 ohm to 8 ohm

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Patico, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Patico

Patico

Hi guys. I have just a very basic knowledge on audio, and close to nothing when it comes to impedance.Hopefully, someone can help me here.

I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara. It comes with this active subwoofer, wired in parallel to the rear door speakers.

The SW label says this:
    TORISAN FSP-SW101.
    Max ouyput 80w
    Rated output power: 40w
    DC: 14.4V Negative Ground

It was not working, so I decided to open it. Inside, I found a 3.5", dual coil (2 ohms per coil) speaker which was in pretty bad shape.
    (This friend of mine just told me 3.5" and subwoofer should not be used on the same sentence. It's really tiny)

Well I took it to the "speaker repair shop" and I got it back today.
    I tested the speaker and it produces sound on both coils. However, I measured resistance between the terminals and it shows 8.1 ohms on one side, and 9.2 ohms on the other.

I'd like to know what effect should I expect from the impedance change I described, both on possible damage to the equipment, and sound quality.

As a side note, I installed the subwoofer and the sound is quite poor.

Thanks in advance.

Patico, Sep 20, 2017
  2. Patico

kuifje19

The qustion first is, what did they repair ? if it should be 2 x 2 Ohm and now it is 8 and 9 ????
    The sound is about 4 times as soft at least!. And about the quality ? no idea.

Better find a new replacement for this box, thats the best.

kuifje19, Jan 23, 2018
Ask a Question