Speaker search - nearly there....I think!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by krispy, Nov 12, 2006.

1. krispy

krispy

Well, I heard some Leema speakers the other day, the Xens. Tiny things like musical OXO cubes! Very impressive though, very airy and spacious sounding for such tiny boxes, but no bass at all. I had almost decided to go for the PMC GB1, but was wondering if their amazing imaging had blinded me to the fact that they did sound just a tad strained/lean/hard. I was telling myself that they had probably not been fully run in yet, and anyway what about that amazing soundstage. I was trying to find a dealer who stocked both PMC and Leema - and I actually found one. When I asked him which he would recommend he said that if I had asked him which speaker was best at around the £800 - £1200 mark 4 or 5 months ago he would have said GB1 without question. However he said another speaker had raised the bar and was now head and shoulders above the GB1 and that was the ATC SCM 11. After much searching I found someone who gave me a demo of a SCM11 in his own home, at very short notice, using my amp and CDP. I have to say I was VERY impressed. It had all the clarity and articulation of the GB1, but a much richer and weightier sound. Vocals sounded slightly silkier, there was a softer bloom on piano notes, and large scale orchestral pieces had a very satisfying rich body to them, and yet when Renee Fleming began to sing you could hear her lips parting as she opened her mouth!

I am going to get another demo of the GB1 using my amp and CDP this time (shop's gear last time) and then probably home demo the SCM11s, and GB1s if I feel it is that close. The cabinets of the ATCs were high gloss lacquer cherry, and felt extremely solid. Very impressive speakers. SCM19s cost double the price and I doubt you would get 100% increase in sound quality. The 40s are out of the question as they are too expensive and too big. My listening room is only about 12' x 10' and I sit about 6 or 7 feet from the speakers, so the 11s would be ample. I think ATC have achieved an excellent balance between a rich and beefy weight and yet retaining clarity and articulation - a very enjoyable sound. I suspect the extra 'warmth' or richness would enable fatigue-free listening for longer than the GB1s.

Decision very soon!

PS - I now have the GB1s and the SCM11s, together with my trusty LS3/5as all set up in my lounge. The PMCs and the ATCs have to go back by Wednesday, or at least one of them does, so that's my challenge for the next two or three days!

krispy, Nov 12, 2006
Ask a Question