Speaker Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SnowDog, May 27, 2018.

1. SnowDog

SnowDog

Hi,

This is my first post. My question is about a possible speaker upgrade and arranging a few to demo.

I have a pair of Q Acoustics 3050s which I think are pretty OK but they are a bit clinical, although nice and punchy and fast. Due to a health problem I cannot drive for a while so arranging a trip requires planning for me. In 3 weeks I have a demo - now I have to work out what to audition. My Budget is about £1000.

I will have the 3050s in the audition to compare, cos I am not sure ye what the other kit will be.

For a speaker eplacement I think I am expecting more control at higher volume (80 - 85dB) for my concert moments, bit more detail and fluidity. The 3050s have a nice soundstage which I love. Don't want to lose that, or the punch. My room is quite well balanced sound-wise but only 7 x 5 Metres. I listen to all types of music

The WhatHifi "Best Buys" have bitterly disappointed in the past.

Any input appreciated. Thanks

SnowDog, May 27, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. SnowDog

Arg

Hello, I suggest you get a subwoofer. People don't realise how much difference it makes to how the upper frequencies sound. It is unintuitive but very real. So, when you go to that demo, try your 3050's with a sub.

Regarding subs, there is the issue of equalisation. Without equalisation, subs draw comments like 'fast' and 'slow', which is misleading, because that is not a property of the sub, but actually a property of non-equalisation. You are actually listening to the unequalised room, not the sub. That is why subs seem like a minefield, with opinions everywhere about 'fast' and 'slow' and 'worse than nothing' etc. So, IMHO you really need to get your sub equalised, which can be a bit of work and requires extra purchases like a microphone etc. So not all that many people do it. That is why I recommend the Elac Debut S12EQ sub, with its built-in equalisation that uses a smartphone app and the microphone in your smartphone. Brilliant and easy.

See if you can get a demo of the above sub, including equalisation with your 3050's in the showroom as part of the demo. Your 3050's will no longer sound clinical.

Remember to post back here about how the demo goes!

cheers

Arg, Jun 4, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. SnowDog

Roxbrough

Speaker choice is too personal and subjective to be able to advise on. I would go and listen to some and buy the ones that you like best.

Roxbrough, Jun 6, 2018
  4. SnowDog

SnowDog

The Demo was OK. I auditioned my own speakers (same model) with the Monitor Audio 200 silver and the Tannoy XTF8s. Firstly, I thought my system sounded better than their gear. They were using a Cambride Audio cxa 80 as amp and we swapped it for a Roksan but something still wasn't right. After 90 minutes I thought the Monitor Audios sounded "nicer" to my ears but the Tannoys looked great and didn't sound bad either - but then again, neither did mine! Just different characters. Plus, maybe the MAs were just toning down their system better. I didn't ask for a sub woofer - because I wanted to just concentrate on this and my amp can't drive one separately anyway - that'll be something for another time. So, boringly, I came home and played the same CD I had compiled for the test - aaahhhh!! Lovely! So, I am not upgrading yet.

Thank you for the replies.

SnowDog, Jun 16, 2018
  5. SnowDog

Roxbrough

There you are then.

Roxbrough, Jun 17, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question