Speaker upgrade!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mister R, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Mister R

Mister R

Hi there! Just wondered if any of you guys have had the pleasure of kistening to the Dynaudio Contour S1.4's yet? I am looking to upgrade my Dyn. A'42's(probably keep them for the rears). I see there is a pair of Contour 1.3mk2 SE's on ebay for £600 at the mo...Not sure about purchasing secondhand on ebay though!? Michael I see you have a pair of Mk2's...any thoughts?

Current system is Cyrus cd8/psxr/pre-x/smartpower. I tried the WB Arcs & the S1.4's out recently and on first impressions preferred the S1.4's. Awesome standmounts. Not sure what else to compare them too though. I listen to chillout...from Kruder & Dorfmeister right through to prog.house. so something that will complement the cyrus sound that's not too laid back.

For me it's gotta be standmounts though. I just prefer 'em!

Help would be great!

Cheers...

Iain

Mister R, Jul 28, 2004
  2. Mister R

crobo

Dynaudo Contour S1.4

I recently heard the S1.4's demoed with an MFA308 integrated, Arcam CD82T as a transport for an MF Trivista DAC.

I have the Contour 1.3 Mk II's at home. The S1.4's are very open, detailed, clean and smooth but I found them a trifle cold in the system they were with. Bass is very tight and deep for a standmount. The treble could never be described as bright or forward eg. like B&W or Focal JM Labs I have heard.

Mind you I also found similar cool characteristics when on the end of Arcam A85 amp.

IMHO the Contour 1.3 Mk II SE's for 600 quid sounds like a good deal to me. Personally, I am more than happy with my 1.3 Mk II's and could not justify spending double the money for the new model.

Cheers

crobo, Jul 29, 2004
Ask a Question