Speakers for small Room

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lukasdesign, Sep 12, 2014.

1. lukasdesign

lukasdesign

Small Room Speaker Choice
    Hello All,

I am totally new to the HiFi World. I will place the equipment in a 3.5m long and 4m wide room. That is a relatively small space of 14 sm.

In the room I have a 1.5 meter long and 0.5 high long HiFi furniture. Next to which I plan to place the speakers. First I was considering stand mounted speakers but I realize that with stands it will take away the same space as some smaller floor standers. I narrowed down my Amp & CD player choice down to the Creek Evo 50. Good reviews and retailer recommendation, as honestly I could not really here major difference to the Rega Brio or Arcam A19 ensembles.

No I have to narrow down the speaker choice. I am quite tempted to go with floor standers. the issue is that I would like to place them around 20cm-30cm from the rear wall and around 150-180cm from each other next to a 150cm*50cm*50cm Hifi furniture.

Furthermore the door to the room will be parallel to the speakers. This means that entering the room the speakers are pretty much the first thing visible. So I have to leave room between door and speaker.

I was reading that the Rega S3 where built with small rooms in mind. I also like the idea of their side mounted bass speaker. However, my furniture is 50 cm tall, so if I place the speakers with the bass opening inwards I suppose it will interfere with the furniture? The speaker is only 80cm high...would that be a problem? So will I be forced to place them facing outside?

What could be nice alternatives (same price region) to the RS3? They should be matching well with the creek and working well in that small space.

Music: 60's, 70's Rock, Hard Rock, Alternative Rock, and quite some classic (Symphonic works)

Thanks for some advises!

lukasdesign, Sep 12, 2014
  2. lukasdesign

Tenson Moderator

I'd go with a standmount at that price simply because less expensive floorstandars usually have a bit of box colouration that standmounts do not. I value clear and articulate sound over bass weight and high volume levels.

I used to use a pair of Monitor Audio Gold Reference 10s which were really enjoyable. The current 'Silver 1' looks similar in the most recent line-up. Their 6" woofer will play perfectly loud and deep enough for most people.

I would also consider getting active studio monitors because most are stupidly good for the money and many have adjustable bass controls to suit it to the room. Something like Mackie HR624.

AudioSmile make the Kensai which is a high-end standmount speaker designed for small rooms. It's a bit over budget though at £1500 pair.

I've used speakers in small rooms many times and I find my upgraded Behrigner DEQ2496 invaluable. It is a high precision digital equaliser that will measure your speakers in the room with a microphone and then correct the output. Clean and tight bass with no overhang :)

Tenson, Sep 12, 2014
  3. lukasdesign

cumbrian_sounds Let it flow

My room is a bit bigger at 4.5m x 4.5m but I fitted in a set of Monitor Audio RS8 floorstanders and an RSW12 sub-woofer.

Having said that, the rest of the room has to fit around the Hi-Fi. I don't have a couch and opted for three narrow but hellish comfy Ikea chairs. Then there's a chest of drawers and...err...well that's it!

I never think about fitting the room around the Hi-Fi. Maybe something could give way to let you expand your ideas for sound? I don't know, it's just the way I think!

cumbrian_sounds, Oct 14, 2014
  4. lukasdesign

DSJR

Bigger speakers can work well in smaller rooms as long as the speakers' bass is well controlled. Small boxes need lots of power to make 'em go and efforts to get good bass out of them can reduce efficiency further IMO.

I'm not a fan of metal cone speakers (the treble ringing they all seem to exhibit is always there, even with a vicious crossover and I find it annoying personally), but have heard good things about the latest KEF Q series, which aren't too pricey. Good luck with some listening :)

DSJR, Oct 23, 2014
Ask a Question