Speakers to match cyrus

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mumping, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Mumping

Mumping

Have a cyrus CD 6se, a 8se v2 amp bi amped with cyrus 8 power. My current
    speakers are floorstanding 109's that I have had since 1997.
    Looking to upgrade the speakers with a maximum budget £1000 advice please

Mumping, Dec 16, 2020
  2. Mumping

Sergeauckland

A Cyrus amp has good current delivery so should drive most 'speakers of reasonable sensitivity (say 86dB/2.83v) with an impedance that stays around 4 ohms or more.

I really wouldn't bother with bi-amping unless you're using an electronic crossover. If you're using 'speakers with the passive crossovers still in place, then sell the Cyrus 8 power amp and put that money towards better 'speakers. Passive Bi-amping is a total con, designed to sell more amplifiers. It has absolutely zero technical merit.

The best upgrade I can suggest is a DSP equaliser / crossover and keep your existing 'speakers, or go active and sell the Cyrus amps and just get a passive pre-amp. Your CD player should drive any half-decent active 'speakers perfectly well. There are lots of very good active 'speakers around.

S.

Sergeauckland, Dec 16, 2020
  3. Mumping

Davidcat

With a thousand pounds to spend, it’s worth shopping around for recently discontinued models, which can sometimes be had at very good prices.
    I picked up a pair of KEF 700 speakers for £1100 , so it’s worth searching. KEF speakers would be a good match for your setup, I am more than than happy with mine.
    Also consider Monitor Audio and Wharfdale, depending on the kind of sound you like.
    Hope this helps.

Davidcat, Jan 4, 2021
  4. Mumping

Mumping

Thanks. Decided on Dali Opticon 6 really pleased with them...x dem price

Mumping, Jan 4, 2021
Ask a Question