Speedy.steve's Tannoys

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Dev, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Dev

Dev Moderator

Steve, interesting looking Berkeleys you have in your avatar. Care to post details about your new cabs?

Dev, Dec 6, 2009
  2. Dev

la toilette Downright stupid

I thought the same - home made rectangular GRF's?

la toilette, Dec 6, 2009
  3. Dev

vincula

They look like Lowther Acousta cabinets. Just a thought:rds2:

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Dec 7, 2009
  4. Dev

speedy.steve

ah yes - I have been a busy boy

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=45559&forum_id=19
    (sorry for the cross forum post - cannot have the same thread going on all fora).

Keep scrolling down for pics and more pics + reports on how they sound & compare with the Berkeley's.

I am making 2-3 further pairs over the next 2-3 months - slightly different cab config (same size) and full length grills for 2 of them.
    Two prospective GRF'ists came around to listen - threw loads a different tracks and ones that their Berkeley's and older cabs struggled with and the GRF's just said bring it on!
    They do pair well with the SPU Royal N too.

Note:
    I am not doing this commercially but can discuss potential builds if anyone is interested (form an orderly queue:)

Dev - if you want to pop round and listen PM me - I am not far from where we met last time for the DMT listen.

speedy.steve, Dec 9, 2009
  5. Dev

Wow Steve, nice job on those GRF's! I mean REALLY nice job.

It was something that I casually contemplated for my 12" Golds when at my last house where I had a suitable room (ish). Since we moved I've been forced to look at downsizing rather than getting bigger! :mad:

la toilette, Dec 9, 2009
  6. Dev

Dev Moderator

I thought we've polluted growla666's thread enough and split it.

Many Thanks for the offer Steve, I'd love to one day but for now let me just echo LT's comments. Really nice job. Well done.

Dev, Dec 9, 2009
  7. Dev

speedy.steve

Good call:)

Thanks for the nice comments.
    Will post up some pics of the new builds as they progress - won't be for a few weeks. Two days hols now so will be hitting the GRF's soon...

speedy.steve, Dec 10, 2009
  8. Dev

Just been re-reading your thread referenced on t'other forum and you mentioned there that your surrounds were original, so thought it might be worth mentioning that Lockwood now do hard-edged surrounds as a recone option on HPD385's - if you ever need to have yours done it means they wouldn't need doing again in a hurry.

Have completely re-arranged all furniture and seating arrangements in my living room (after trying out and rejecting some smaller speakers) and guess what (?!).....I reckon I might be able to get away with bigger cabs after all. Maybe rect GRF's are still a possibility for me too....my better half hasn't even dismissed the idea (yet) :eek:

la toilette, Dec 29, 2009
  9. Dev

speedy.steve

Thanks, I too heard that Lockwoods do the surrounds similar to Golds now.
    I would be a bit concerned that they would not sound like HPD's and sound more like Golds. Some might say that would be better some would not...

The good thing about doing the GRF cabs yourself or if you ask me to make a pair for you is that your better half gets to choose finish and grille cloth colour and that can smooth the water enough to have permission to have a pair;)

I am making a couple of pairs now with the more traditional curved top and bottom and full length grilles. Stained to taste.

speedy.steve, Jan 2, 2010
  10. Dev

I'll pm you about cost of your builds as I'd very much like a pair of those cabs, but at this point in time it would be for future reference as sadly I'm not currently in a position to spend a lot on hifi :mad:.

TBH I wouldn't be too concerned over the HPD vs Gold difference in sound having had three pairs of HPD's myself before I got my Golds; there's not much in it really and my motivation in changing was mostly curiosity. Not sure if those new cones would make yours sound more like Golds anyway.....

la toilette, Jan 3, 2010
  11. Dev

speedy.steve

That's interesting.Could be the older must = better hype, Same as for Reds and silvers vs Golds...
    I would first have a go at doing the surrounds myself first - loving DIY...
    If they then needed a full re-cone at e.g. Lockwoods there would only be the cost of the surround kit out,

I've had my drivers over a year now and there has been no degradation in that time. i doubt they are original as in from new - but I have not changed them.

speedy.steve, Jan 4, 2010
  12. Dev

I think I'm about to embark on a similar project to Steve's - I've just bought a pair of 15" HPD's in great nick, so plan to build some similar cabs. Sadly limited cash equals mdf rather than posh birch ply, but hoping to use oak veneered for tops and sides.

Had been playing around with down-sizing my speakers, but after latest attempt I thought bollocks to it, I'll go bigger instead :D!

la toilette, Jan 27, 2010
  13. Dev

Dev Moderator

That's the spirit Dave! :D. Please keep us updated, I'll look forward to it.

Dev, Jan 27, 2010
  14. Dev

Ha ha, thanks Dev!

I'll update when I get stuck into it - but in the meantime here's a pic of the drivers:

[​IMG]

Early examples as shown by older style crossovers/switches, but all having been serviced by Lockwood a few years ago.

la toilette, Jan 28, 2010
  15. Dev

speedy.steve

Started a new thread instead....

speedy.steve, Feb 15, 2010
Ask a Question