Spotify now plays networked files without fuss

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Apr 20, 2013.

1. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Not sure how long Spotify has had this ability, but after running spotify to play local files from a usb HD library plugged into the notebook I disconnected the drive and put it back onto the network.

If I select the local files within Spotify it still finds them and they still play.
    So unlike iTunes which gets in a right flap if you change drive locations, Spotify seems to search and track the drive location and finds it pretty much instantly.

So now you can have your local library and everything out there on Spotify playing from one player, nice and seamless.

RobHolt, Apr 20, 2013
  2. RobHolt

Tenson Moderator

If you go to Edit -> Properties you can add locations for music music files. These can be anywhere on the computer or network, it just searches those locations each time it starts up for any changes.

The less good thing is, (I think) the mobile version of Spotify doesn't allow network locations for music so you can't stream your networked files over your iPad to the AEX. At least it was like that last time I tried.

Tenson, Apr 20, 2013
Ask a Question