SQUEEZEBOX - Linux beginner

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by dreftar, Oct 22, 2008.

1. dreftar

dreftar

I thought that I should begin using Open Source - Linux to complement the feel good factor in music with dark 86% fair trade chocolate, so I installed Mandriva 2009 free version (of course) on my, now windowless PC. All went well. I even got the wireless network to function after only 5 hours. I downloaded SqueezeCentre as a RPM. Clicked on it and it installed - I think. But now I can't find it! Where has Mandriva put the icon that I can click to try and get the music started?:(

dreftar, Oct 22, 2008
  2. dreftar

Graffoeman

Here is a link you may find useful : http://www.secguru.com/files/cheatsheet/linux-file-structure.jpg

So, your files are probably installed in usr/bin. Alternatively, if you open a terminal window in the root of the file structure and type 'whereis <app>' it should tell you. Or maybe not. Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux!

Creating application shortcuts can also depend on which desktop is running, i.e. KDE or Gnome or something else! In KDE, right click on a blank piece of desktop and select 'Create New ___ Application Shortcut' Fill out the spaces in the dialogue that opens up and hey presto, it might work. Or not. Or won't.

If none of all this nonsense is enough to drive you back into the comforting arms of micro$oft, then join up here : http://www.linuxquestions.org/ . Then go see your local doctor and pre-order a bulk supply of tranquillisers!!

Graffoeman, Oct 22, 2008
  3. dreftar

dreftar

Thank you for your assistance. I have journeyed from ubuntu to sabayon to mandriva via KDE 3 and 4 gnome and I still do not have squeezebox working with Linux. I went back to a dual boot with Windows and it all works well. I think I'll persevere for a while yet though!:confused:

dreftar, Oct 23, 2008
  4. dreftar

Graffoeman

Graffoeman, Oct 23, 2008
  5. dreftar

dreftar

Success

I got it to work - at last! on ubuntu - Thanks for your help! Now on with the music :MILD::D:D:D:MILD:

dreftar, Oct 24, 2008
  6. dreftar

Graffoeman

Pleasure

Nice one! Let us know what you think if the quality?

Graffoeman, Oct 25, 2008
Ask a Question