Squeezebox musings

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, May 26, 2006.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

2 minutes to set this thing up? Pah! Your joking right!?

For some bizarre reason this thing wont play nice with my wireless network... it will ONLY work if you use an unsecured network (my network was WPA). Just comes up with Encryption error. My PC connects just fine.

I've had to make do with an unsecured network and an access control list (MAC addresses).

Looks nice though doesnt it? It would have took me about 5 minutes to set up if it wasnt for my ****ty router being a virtual tosser. Love the VU meters!

The sound quality (std everything) is not bad I think for what it is. No worse than my EMU 0404 really (which is being sold). Hard to say if its any better, but its probably no worse really. A different sound... the EMU is more detailed perhaps, but perhaps the SB3 has a more natural tone to the sound.

Anyway, the quality of its built in DAC wont be an issue as hopefully next weekend my new DAC will be on its way anyway. And a rack to put it all on.

Its getting there!

PBirkett, May 26, 2006
  2. PBirkett

andyoz

Stick with it - it's all worth it.

I was lucky enough to have a wired network so it really did take <1 minute to setup.

Really good when you have multiple players around the house, that's when the advantages of a central server really show.

andyoz, May 26, 2006
  3. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Well I've figured out why it wouldnt connect to the WPA network - because for some completely unknown reason, when I entered my WPA key it decided to add a trailing space on the end!

Once I'd managed to get rid of that its connecting no bother.

It is a nice little device - sort of makes up for the lack of remote for the amp too - although I'm unsure as to whether that will work when an external DAC is used.

PBirkett, May 26, 2006
  4. PBirkett

andyoz

I'm pretty sure that the volume control still works when an external DAC is used. Others here will know the exact details.

It the best thing being able to control volume and track selection from one remote.

andyoz, May 26, 2006
  5. PBirkett

robs

Yes it does :)

robs, May 26, 2006
  6. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Cooooooooooool :D

PBirkett, May 26, 2006
  7. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I forgot to mention one thing I am EXTREMELY impressed with - it supports Musepack (MPC) codec out of the box. I never for a moment thought it would. I really rate this as the best lossy codec of any of them - great sound quality and fast encoding.

I've started re-ripping my CD's to FLAC, but I will compress them to Musepack since in all honesty I cant tell the difference, and it takes up a whole lot less hard drive space.

FLAC is very useful for archival purposes though IMO.

PBirkett, May 26, 2006
  8. PBirkett

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Yup loving my sb3 atm. Its currently hooked up to a m-audio 2496 dac modded by tone. Very nice its sounding too. Currently got the whole system in the room (dvd player, sky box, sb3)controlled by a logitech Harmony 525 remote control.

Incidentally, pcworld have an offer of a toshiba 320 gig hard drive on offer for £99 atm. If you do a reserve at store (assuming theyre in stock!)then the web price applies in store as well. Considering the dixons in town were asking £139 for the same box, its a bit of a bargain if you need more space. http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/023695

davidcotton, May 26, 2006
  9. PBirkett

snowflake Former Albino Ape

Paul,

There is some discussion (as always :) on whether using the digital volume control degrades the sound quality, as always it up to you but I disabled the feature on mine, which probably made no difference, but its that sykerlogical difference that all important!!

The slim devices forum is full of useful stuff, the wiki's are spot on, but I imagine you will alreday have discovered this ;-)

Cheers

S

snowflake, Jun 1, 2006
  10. PBirkett

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

FWIW I leave my sb3 volume at around 31-32. If I need more volume than that then I use the volume on the amp.

davidcotton, Jun 1, 2006
  11. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Snowflake I hear what you are saying, but I'm really not that paranoid. I'll try both, but I think unless there is a SERIOUS difference in performance, the convenience will probably outweigh it... no offence either, but that has to be the funniest spelling of "pyschological" I've ever seen :D

PBirkett, Jun 1, 2006
  12. PBirkett

snowflake Former Albino Ape

Yes - its the Teeside pronunciation, alongside Kompewta, Perple and Werk. Perple werk shirt being a key linguistic identity tool :)

S

snowflake, Jun 2, 2006
  13. PBirkett

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Whereas that variant isn't funny at all :)

SteveC, Jun 2, 2006
Ask a Question