Stands for Tannoy Lancaster Cabinets

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by hifipete, Oct 12, 2011.

1. hifipete

hifipete

I have read on the interweb that the height of the standard Lancaster cabinet (15" MG) is too low and should be raised to match the ideal listening level for the drivers.

Looking for recommendations on a suitable pair of stands and your experience on any DIY stands that you may have attempted.

I have read from the AOS forum that a member there had a pair made by Deco Audio (Something Solid models) - steel stands similar to the style used by Abbey Road Studio :eek:

As you know the Lancaster is a heavy beast of at least 30kg. So I would imagine that a hefty plinth/ box enclosure would be required or a steel frame type stand to prop up the speakers. Not sure on how they will interact with such a weight and the effect on sound quality.-

Your ideas and recommendations for raising the speakers are most welcomed.

Cheers. Peter

hifipete, Oct 12, 2011
  2. hifipete

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Peter,

The Driver is quite directional and every Tannoy I've heard has sounded better on axis.

Something Solid will custom build to your preferred height and to properly accommodate the base of the cabinet.

Experiment with some books or magazines to lift the cabinet so that the Tannoy tweeter is at ear height for your seating position and then you can have the stand made accordingly.
    £200-£250 IIRC for the stands and they are fully welded and made from solid steel.

Alternatively you could try tilting the cabinets back and see how that works.

RobHolt, Oct 12, 2011
  3. hifipete

hifipete

Is it the centre of the Drive unit that should be in line with the ear height?

Will prop up the speakers this weekend and work out the ideal level.

Cheers
    Peter

hifipete, Oct 14, 2011
  4. hifipete

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Peter,

Yes, centre at ear level and unless in a massive room, angling the cabinets inwards will help maintain the top end.

RobHolt, Oct 14, 2011
  5. hifipete

felix part-time Horta

Not strictly necessary; stick within about 15-20 degrees of tweeter axis' and all is as good as it gets. That gives quite some latitude on speaker level and toe/position.

Getting a full earful of flat-on-axis response is over-rated. It is 'power response' that usually matters for a balanced sound, ie total energy in the room.

felix, Oct 14, 2011
  6. hifipete

DSJR

I echo Robs advice re Something Solid. mark orr is a great chap and his products really work i found (when I sold 'em some years ago). Just to say that he's a part of deco Audio I understand, although his products are available from a handful of dealers in the home counties. Someone was considering selling his 12" Lancaster cabs with stands (although he's now changed his mind - whew :D -

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13612

By the way, the HPD series of Tannoy DC's used to be recommended listening at 15 degrees off axis due to often peaky-pepperpots, but I believe this was significantly tamed in more recent larger models...

DSJR, Oct 16, 2011
Ask a Question