Starter setup?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nathan, Apr 7, 2018.

1. nathan

nathan

Hi all, I'm stuck and need some input, I just need some good sound, not the best.

Music source will predominantly be Chromecast audio.

Room is 6m X 6m and 2.3m high, hardwood floors.

Usage will be general BBC radio, some classical by day, and occasional trance/electro by night when having a drink.

I guess I'm in the market for bookshelf speakers, or floor standers, and something to power them unless they're active.

Ideally budget is sub £500 to get started, though it I'm conviced its really worth it I can defer and save for a better setup.

Until a few days ago I was deciding whether to get a Marshall stanmore for 400 or wait and get teufel stereo l for nearer 2k that - because being Chromecast and Google homh compatblecwas a high priority - but then a change of heart, I don't eantto have that functionality baked in to the speakers, so I'm not tied to it as tech changes.

I'm at a loss here as can't even find a way to nail a technical spec in order to refine down choices, which is how I normally approach purchases, nail an optimal soec, find suitable matches, refine, buy. Can't seem to do that here.. and reading 20+ top ten speakers is not helping.

Any advise?

Thanjs

nathan, Apr 7, 2018
  2. nathan

nathan

Ended up visiting richer sounds and trying multiple setups, decided on dali zensor 3 paired with an onkyo a-9010, very happy.

nathan, Apr 10, 2018
  3. nathan

MikeD Militant Nutter

After reading your first post that's exactly what I was going to recommend.

There's so much more to hi-fi than spec sheets, it's always best to let your ears make the decision for you :)

MikeD, Apr 12, 2018
Ask a Question