Static/crackling noise in left speaker (Creative GigaWorks T40)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jakey1995abc, Sep 29, 2018.

1. jakey1995abc

jakey1995abc

I need help solving the following issue...

I have the Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II speakers, and for the last 2 years I've had constant static/crackling sounds coming out of my left (secondary) speaker when powered on. This is regardless of whether or not I have anything plugged into these speakers, so it is definitely an issue with the speakers themselves. This started to occur when the power cable was accidently unplugged from the back of the right (primary) speaker when still powered on. I've noticed that the volume of the static/crackling will go up when I turn down the bass and treble knobs on my speakers, and it will become quieter when I turn them up. The volume knob on my speaker on the other hand does not affect the static/crackling noise whatsoever. I am also speculating that colder room temperatures are causing the static/crackling noise to become louder, as during the winter the static is really loud, and during the summer it is barely audible.
    In case you are wondering, this is what I mean by static sound: youtube.com/watch?v=hSGNXY_CEbg

Does anyone here know what the issue could be, and if an audio noob like myself would be able to fix it?

jakey1995abc, Sep 29, 2018
  2. jakey1995abc

attrition

The power amplifier section of the circuit board on this speaker has common issues with bad solder joints which can be easily repaired by removing the solder at the bad spots (they're not shiny and are quite dull and pitted.) To remove the solder, use some solder wick or a solder sucker, a soldering pencil type iron, and use a small amount of fresh, new 60/40 electronics solder initially to start the process. Once the old solder and the small amount of new solder has been removed, resolder the junction. I've attached a photograph with a circle showing a common failure area. Bad solder points cause a poor ground with the TDA amplifier chip which in turn cannot reference a common zero point, thus the thermal noise floor raises and you get what you are experiencing.

Attached Files:

attrition, Oct 8, 2018
    jakey1995abc likes this.
Ask a Question