Still looking for that new car!!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by batfink, Jan 26, 2005.

1. batfink

batfink

After much fun test driving cars over the last couple of weeks, I now know what I want. From my original list, opinions are as follows :

Mini Cooper is out of the window - great fun to drive, but only really good as a second car (and I doubt I'd get my bike in it);

Civic Type-R - still tempted, although it's not as refined as I'd like on long motorway journeys.

I knocked the idea of an Octavia on the head (too much of a family-mobile and I'm young, free and single!). Also, thought about a 3-series, but they're too common(!). Might go and test-drive a Fabia vRS for a laugh though. Alfa 147 is nice with plenty of equipment, but depreciates (or appears to) faster than s**t off a shovel (and it's not really a 'hot' hatch, but it looks good!). Golf GT TDi wasn't bad. Haven't found an Audi A3 that's local yet (it would have to be the 1.8T).

So, on the basis that I want a 'hot'(or 'warm' :cool: ) hatch, I looked at the Seat Leon Cupra. It's built like a Golf, 180bhp (which should be enough!) and a remarkably refined engine (1.8T - same as that used in the base Audi TT) with plenty of equipment as standard (Climate control, CD-changer, trip computer etc), it's cheaper than a Golf and looks more sporty. This is the car I want, but the problem appears to be actually finding one. They're fairly rare cars as it is and get snapped up very quickly when they go on sale.

Any suggestions of where to look in the Berkshire environs (incl. Surrey, or up towards Oxford) ?

My local Seat dealer (SMC) tried to rip me off offering a '53' plate with 10k miles for £1k below list. There was one at Perry's in Aylesbury, which I planned to go and see, but they called yesterday to say it had sold. I'm looking for a post face-lift model ('03' onwards) and (in theory!) they should retail for £12-12.5k.

batfink, Jan 26, 2005
  2. batfink

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

SEAT dealers are a funny bunch.... only wanted to give me £1700 tops for my R-reg galant estate, whilst trying to flog an R-reg Arosa for £2750...

Quickest way to search is to go to autotrader.co.uk and to autoexposure.co.uk, and do a search within 40 miles of your postcode.

I-S, Jan 26, 2005
Ask a Question