Sub for Spendor SP2/3e

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mtbguy68, Jun 22, 2008.

1. mtbguy68

mtbguy68

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there are any members that have Spendor SP2/3e who has been successful incorporated a sub woofer into their system. I have only 1 system so the Spendors is used for music and movies so an all round sub would be great if there is one.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards
    Alan

mtbguy68, Jun 22, 2008
  2. mtbguy68

mr cat Member of the month

try a velodyne - they good subs...I have the cht 10r... :)

mr cat, Jun 24, 2008
  3. mtbguy68

hifi addict

System Audio Subs are good. Depends on how much you want to spend. The Manger sub is one of the best. Velodyne very good aswell.

hifi addict, Jun 24, 2008
  4. mtbguy68

DavidF

My brother uses spendors....I think sp2s

Those give ok bass...

Just a thought have you considered putting your speakers on (granite) slabs?

DavidF, Jun 24, 2008
  5. mtbguy68

Tenson Moderator

Integration of a sub is a pretty technical task. Velodyne seem to have the best chance of getting it right as far as I can see, with their digital drive stuff.

Tenson, Jun 24, 2008
  6. mtbguy68

mtbguy68

Thanks

Hi,

do you mean have my speaker stand on a slab of granite slab. Do you also know what your brother use for speaker stands? Thanks

mtbguy68, Jun 25, 2008
  7. mtbguy68

DavidF

The speakers my brother is using are floorstanders....so if you are using stands....won't be the same type.

My point is that standing either on a solid mass such as granite is one method of extending your bass response.....potentially quite dramatically.

This si going down the avenue of vibration management, which I have played with quite regulaly over the last year or so...as I say often (IMO) with dramatic results.

DavidF, Jun 25, 2008
  8. mtbguy68

Tenson Moderator

I don't like to take over the position of SM, but this comment could be a bit misleading. I know of no evidence that suggests standing a speaker on a slab of something solid will extend the bass response over standing it on any other usual floor material.

However, standing the speakers on solid slabs, which are then on top of carpet for example, will reduce transmission of the vibration from the speaker to the floor compared with using spikes that dig in. This may improve the perceived quality of bass in one way or another. For the small cost it may be worth the try.

Tenson, Jun 25, 2008
  9. mtbguy68

DavidF

hmmmm....

ok

Perhapts the extent of my expermentation over the last year is not for every one. I do feel its a pretty well known fcat though.

Yes, why do I feel that I'vebeen throgh these arguements before :D ?

I would day for the small cost it IS worth a try, not maybe :).

edit mtbguy it depends on what you are loking for. If you want AV bass response frm your kit, these maynot be enough for you. For normal music listening I have made (IMO any way ) enormous differences to my ruark sceptres with careful vibration management. Its true there was a fair input of time......but see how you get on with a pair of granite slabs?

DavidF, Jun 26, 2008
  10. mtbguy68

FrankDeckard

REL T1 works amazingly well. I use an all-Spendor system (2/3, C9e, SR-5s) in my home theater with a REL T1. I used to run a Linn Sizmik with it, but found it to be overkill. The REL sounds faster and far tighter.

FrankDeckard, Jun 30, 2008
Ask a Question