Subwoofer purchase

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Joolsburger, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

Guys,

I am about to buy a subwoofer to augment my Ls3/5a's and AB1s.

For all who don't know AB1s are an additional bass unit for LS3/5a's that start to cut off at about 60 htz so not really a sub more of a augmenter for the bass that's already there.

I have in mind a number of REL products but am interested in views on other models.

I mainly want this for additional low bass at low to mid volumes when I'm playing reggae, dance and bassy electronica.

My budget is about 300-500.

Firstly, Is this wise? Second, I am a vinyl junkie can anyone recommend a good way of checking siting and setting up the thing without using a test CD.

Joolsburger, Aug 26, 2003
  2. Joolsburger

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Jools, I would consider a MJ Acoustics Reference 100, cracking Musical sub that is very Tight, a good buy too at £350 WM

wadia-miester, Aug 26, 2003
  3. Joolsburger

merlin

Jules,

I'm getting rid of my Dynaudio Contour Subwoofer and I'll take £500 for the baby (£1800 new). It's big though:D

Eat those wannabes for breakfast in terms of dynamics and musicality mind.

merlin, Aug 26, 2003
  4. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

A kind offer merlin but SWMBO will not go for "big"

5. Joolsburger

merlin

Not like all the women I know then Jools eh;) ;)

merlin, Aug 26, 2003
  6. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

Fnarr Fnarr Indeed.

A dude I just spoke to re MJ acoustics said not as the amps blow and steered me back to REL. He also said forward firing subs are best for some reason.

7. Joolsburger

julian2002 Muper Soderator

jools,
    i'd also recommend mja subs. the amps (that i saw being built) were damn sturdy things and they were more musical than most (whereas rels, dynavectors etc. are built for movie wallop mja are built with an eye towards stereo too). also the adjustability and controls on mja subs mean that getting the sub integrated is not such a hit and miss affair as with most others.

as for forward firing or downwards firing... well take a listen and see for yourself (in your own place of course as a dealers room will tell you nothing).
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 26, 2003
  8. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

This retailer reckoned he sees many more MJs with blown amps than RELs maybe he has a point.?

I think a q150 seems about right for me.

9. Joolsburger

Mr_Sukebe

Jools,

Be aware that I have a Q100 (bigger dimensions that a Q150, but with a smaller amp).
    Sounds great on films, but frankly, when compared to my normal stereo speakers, it sounds a little slow, uncontrolled and ploddy.
    After months of trying to get it to sound right, I've simply disconnected it in stereo mode. Yes it certainly adds to the bass depth, but what's the point when what it does add is simply not very nice and rather off putting.
    My speakers on their own are 20 times more coherrant.

For music, I'd now say spend the cash on a better front end.

Mr_Sukebe, Aug 26, 2003
  10. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

Hmm thanks that's me even more stuck!!

11. Joolsburger

lowrider Live music is surround

You have to consider that most people don't take enough time to set-up subs properly, plus all the audiophilia against them... :rolleyes:

RELs, and I am sure some others, work very well, better then without, with most speakers, you just have to take time to set them properly, and it is easily done by ear...

I have two Strata III, I think they are the easiest to integrate, as they have closed box...

lowrider, Aug 26, 2003
  12. Joolsburger

julian2002 Muper Soderator

jools,
    start borrowing some from your dealers.
    see which sounds best.
    buy it.

if you're worried about it breaking i'm sure your dealer would be over the moon to let you pay for an extended warranty.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 26, 2003
  13. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

not really worried but poor reliablity may be indicative of poor quality..

I think I'll try the REL and see for myself, so min volume and lowest possible cross over frequency to start is it?

14. Joolsburger

Matt F

For a quality music set up, I'd suggest steering clear of the Q150. I have it on good authority (from a guy who ran them side by side for a while) that the cheaper Velodyne CHT10 will easily outperform the Q150 for both music and movies.

Better, I would suggest, to look at the REL ST range (Strata III for example), Velodyne SPL range (a bit above what you wanted to pay), M&K (VX100, MX70B) or something from the MJ Acoustics stable. I haven't heard of any MJA reliability problems so I would be a little bit suspicious of this.

However, you'd have to be absolutely mad to pass up Merlin's offer on the Dynaudio Contour sub, even if it means getting into domestic trouble. Okay so the things tall but it's only just over a foot wide so it shouldn't look too obtrusive if positioned accordingly. £500 for an £1800 sub – get in there before someone else (like me) does!

The bottom line - as everyone else has been saying - is to get hold of some different models on a home trial - you'd be mad to buy one without trying it in YOUR room first.

Matt.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2003
    Matt F, Aug 26, 2003
  15. Joolsburger

lowrider Live music is surround

You start at the -3db point of your speakers, xover that is, then increase the volume until you hear the sub, then turn it down a notch, then try lower xover, different position, etc...

It will take some time to get used to it, and get it properly setup...

lowrider, Aug 26, 2003
  16. Joolsburger

Lawrie

Keepin' it real, right here in Lawrieville.
    Hey Joolsburger,

Did this dealer tell you his commission levels for the RELs? Did he also tell you that many of the REL's best and most musical subs are downward firing? I would say that if home cinema is your priority, then lean towards the REL Q range but if music is king then, head straight for the ST-range. But don't take it from me - take from the horses' mouth: http://www.rel.net/resource/faq.shtml#q6

I have not heard this rumour of MJ Acoustics having blown amps and it is not the sort of thing you want to be spreading around the internet with no proof. Your dealer has ulterior motives and there you are falling for it hook, line and sinker.:D FWIW, I heard the MJ Acoustics Reference 100 and Reference 150 subs in a stereo system last weekend and very musical and tuneful they were too. The only question is should I go for one or two subs? ;) A home audition should make it clearer.

Enjoy the music!!

Lawrie:D

Lawrie, Aug 26, 2003
  17. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

He's not my dealer just a dealer I found. I have no ideas regarding his motives and I don't really care!!
    As for the business of the sub I feel that the REL ST series is looking good despite the additional cost (I just can't do it cheaply and well it seems) so maybe someone could give me their thoughts on Strata 3 set up as I'll probably get one on dem on Saturday. I have heard that a test tone disc is the way to do it properly but I have a TT.. Also I have no idea what my speakers -3db point is and I have looked about the web for this info. I will do this by ear so suggestions would be welcome..

I figured I'll listen to my favorite tunes and fiddle till it sounds good although that may take all weekend!!!:confused:

18. Joolsburger

Robbo

Another negative for the dynaudio sub (and please correct me if I am wrong BTW) is that I believe the the crossover is fixed at 80 hz so unless you have an AV system or speakers that co-incidentally cross over at 80 hz, it is not going to integrate.

Robbo

Robbo, Aug 26, 2003
  19. Joolsburger

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

thats a shame.

Id have been tempted to go with Merl's sub myself, and tell the missus to blow it up her ass.

But maybe thats why Im single? lol :D

bottleneck, Aug 26, 2003
  20. Joolsburger

Robbo

Chris,

Thats the spirit :D There should be no compromises where music is concerned!

Robbo, Aug 26, 2003
Ask a Question