Suppliers of acoustic panels?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Baudrillard, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

So its gotta be covered in Linen before it can be hung on the wall?

Baudrillard, Jan 23, 2008
  2. Baudrillard

mosfet

Rockwool will give off fibres that can cause skin irritation and * may * cause lung irritation. It's similar to loft lagging in this way. Covering is a good idea but not absolutely necessary, just be sensible with handling and cutting.

Ideally the rockwool should be framed in some way to make rigid panels. The rockwool itself is rigid enough to be leant against a wall.

I treated a basement practice room with a mixture of rockwool and semi-rigid glass fibre. Personally I wouldn't use mineral wools in my living room just to be on the safe side.

Here's one set of plans using rockwool.

mosfet, Jan 23, 2008
  3. Baudrillard

maddog 2

I've experimented with diffusors and absorbers, including rockwool of various thicknesses, behind the speakers, behind the listener, and a first reflections on the side wall.

All had a different effect, some good, some not so good, some a bit odd. I think it's a tad simplistic to assume you (or someone) knows what the solution is at the outset. I'd recommend an experimental approach.

For example, many suggest absorbers behind the speakers, whereas I found diffusors were much better in my system. The absorbers robbed some of the sparkle to the music and made it less engaging.

Having said that, I think room acoustics is well worth a try. I was looking through a thread the other day on the slimdevices forum (pics of squeezeboxes :rolleyes:) and I couldn't believe how many (often v. expensive) rooms had simply no idea about acoustics - bare floors, bare walls, systems in corners, allsorts. No wonder some people spend a fortune on their kit trying to sort it out.

maddog 2, Jan 23, 2008
  4. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Of course you are right, but with the advice on tackling primary and immediate reflections, I was given an easy to understand starting off method- nothing more.

That's a bit worrying, as I am a little asthmatic. Was hoping to quickly stick something up tomorrow for small birthday party at home. Shouldn't need to cut- they are about the right size.

Edit: Just read this:
    My listening room is also my bedroom!

Baudrillard, Jan 23, 2008
  5. Baudrillard

darrylfunk

invite a few more guests human beings have very good absorbing qualities.

regards

darryl.

darrylfunk, Jan 24, 2008
  6. Baudrillard

maddog 2

big fellas with cardigans

maddog 2, Jan 24, 2008
  7. Baudrillard

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I did this years and years ago. Covered massive thick rockwool panels with linen sheets (stapled them!), and put them in various strategic places - net result ---- not a lot!!!

It's a fallacy to think that these things can be solved by a rank amateur. You need people who know what they're doing in, to measure, plan, measure after.

bottleneck, Jan 24, 2008
  8. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Absolutely! You're invited too.:)

Baudrillard, Jan 24, 2008
  9. Baudrillard

ShinOBIWAN

Maybe your room doesn't have significant problems in the area that your chosen acoustic treatments targeted. Or maybe you didn't have sufficient coverage for the effects to become beneficial.

Either way a little research always pays off and I'd recommend anyone to look into treatments to maximise their systems potential.

ShinOBIWAN, Jan 24, 2008
  10. Baudrillard

rollo

Email Banape. He is the one to ask for advice. Then there is Rel Trap and RPG. Good luck trying.

rollo

rollo, Jan 24, 2008
  11. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

OK, have adequately sorted first reflections now and moving onto bass corner panels.

Just wondering about appropriate placement in this very narrow room. Would you normally place the panel flat along the wall (of one side of a corner) or between two corners like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2008
    Baudrillard, Feb 23, 2008
  12. Baudrillard

Tenson Moderator

Assuming you are using foam based panels; across the corner as you draw.

Tenson, Feb 24, 2008
  13. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

And with bass traps, the same?

Baudrillard, Feb 24, 2008
  14. Baudrillard

Tenson Moderator

I thought you were talking about bass traps. Putting a porous panel across the corner gives it a large air gap behind and this helps it work to a lower frequency than if it was flat against the wall.

Tenson, Feb 25, 2008
  15. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

I was thinking more in terms of 'Bass Control units' and how they'd be placed.

Baudrillard, Feb 27, 2008
  16. Baudrillard

kmac

Baud

Not sure of the distinction you are trying to draw between bass traps and bass control units.

I understand that there are different kinds of bass traps -

1) a wedge of foam - in which case best to put across the corner

2) a bass trap with a flexible membrane - this is a sealed unit with a flexible membrane and absorbent material inside. These are usually placed flat against a wall in the corners of the room

kmac, Feb 27, 2008
  17. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Hi Kmac

It was the second type I meant. So they can indeed go flat against a wall. That's what I was wondering.

In my room, having a piece of foam across a corner would mean that the speaker would be nearer to the foam than it currently is to the wall. Not sure that's such a good thing and might mean moving the speaker out even further than it is.

Has anyone here had experience of bass traps (flexible membrane types) compared to flat foam panels or wedges? Obviously, they tend to be pricier but is there really much difference in performance?

Baudrillard, Feb 27, 2008
  18. Baudrillard

Tenson Moderator

They certianly seem to work better in the lower bass range. You need to understand 4 things.

Bass is greatest in room corners.

Foam absorbs sound by converting vibration in to heat.

Air particle vibration is at a minimum near room boundaries (such as corners!) and pressure is at a maximum.

Membrane bass traps absorb by pressure fluctiations.

Thats why foam type traps been to be across the corner, so that they are not near the room boundary where particle vibration is at a minimum.

It doesn't really matter if the speaker is near the foam though. Its mainly a question of upper or lower bass absorption and if you mind cutting off the corner of your room with foam.

Tenson, Feb 27, 2008
  19. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Very informative, thanks.

Baudrillard, Feb 28, 2008
  20. Baudrillard

shrink

i get my panels from a chap called gazor on the cyrusunofficial forum.. he has a chap that makes them up, and they are well done, look good and most importantly work.

the two behind my speakers greatly reduce the effect of the rear port without having to move my speakers miles into the room.

shrink, Feb 28, 2008
Ask a Question