Switching 2 amplifier outputs between 2 sets of speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Phil Benton, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Phil Benton

Phil Benton

I wonder if anyone can help please...
    I want to use a 2 in / 2 out speaker switch box to select one of two amps to be routed to one of two sets of speakers. There are a few switches on the market. My concern is whether either of the amplifiers involved are likely to have a problem with having no load on the output when they are the de-selected amplifier. Neither is a valve amplifier but they are both "vintage" solid state amps - one is a Musical Fidelity A100 and the other is a Quad Vena.

I wonder if there is anyone out there who knows enough about either of these amps to know whether they would be damaged by being run open circuit on the power output (no-load).

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Phil Benton

Phil Benton, Mar 30, 2023
  2. Phil Benton

Sergeauckland

Neither amplifier will have a problem with being left without a load. As you suggested, valve amplifiers can have issues that can destroy the output transformer if unterminated. No SS Amplifier does. With SS amps, shorting the output when playing music can instantly destroy the output transistors if the amp isn't protected (Quads are, not sure about MF) Valve amps are more rugged to shorts, although long term shorts will damaged them, just not as quickly as a SS amp.

S

Sergeauckland, Mar 30, 2023
  3. Phil Benton

Phil Benton

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm assuming manufacturers offering amp/speaker routing switches would always use "break before make" switches to avoid contact between amp outputs...?

Phil Benton, Mar 30, 2023
  4. Phil Benton

Sergeauckland

One would hope so! It should be specified in the user manual.

S

Sergeauckland, Mar 30, 2023
Ask a Question