Tannoy dc6t

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by muttley, Apr 13, 2021.

1. muttley

muttley

Has anyone any experience/ thoughts on these speakers please.
    I'm looking at buying some used ones.
    They seem popular with What Hi-Fi but I'm always a bit sceptical about magazine ratings.
    I'm replacing my Tannoy Dc2000s.
    Any other floorstanding speaker suggestions welcome.
    My kit is Audiolab 8200cd with Audiolab 8000a and 8000p(which I'm having upgraded).
    Thanks

muttley, Apr 13, 2021
  2. muttley

Sergeauckland

As nobody else has replied, I don't like to see new threads unanswered, so here's my view.

As I see it, the DC6T won't be an upgrade on your DC2000. It might at best be a 'more of the same' but not significantly better.

The two loudspeakers are different, insofar as the DC2000 is a sealed box with 200mm drivers, the DC6T is a rear-vented enclosure with 150mm drivers. Bass should be cleaner with your existing DC2000s, it might, go a little deeper perhaps with the DC6T, but then being vented will drop rapidly, so the in-room response won't necessarily be any better. Having a smaller bass driver also means that the DC6T will have to work harder at low bass as the cone excursion will be greater for the same output.

One benefit of the smaller coaxial driver however may be in the crossover region to the tweeter, as the smaller driver will start beaming that bit higher in frequency. How apparent that is in-room will depend on your room's acoustics and the loudspeaker location. The difference won't be great either way.

You don't say why you're intending to replace the DC2000s, and the DC6Ts are newer and more modern, but as far as sound quality goes, unless the DC2000s are in some way faulty, I don't see there being an improvement in replacing them with the DC6T.

S.

Sergeauckland, Apr 14, 2021
    muttley likes this.
  3. muttley

muttley

Thankyou for the reply.
    I've had my DC2000s from new and I bought them back in the early 90s. They have been a fantastic speaker.
    The reason for changing them is just simply thinking technology has moved on and I thought the later speakers would be significantly better.
    It's good to know that they hold up to the DC6Ts I honestly never realised they would.
    I'll have to have a rethink now or maybe even stick to what I have.
    Thanks again
    Mark

muttley, Apr 14, 2021
    Sergeauckland likes this.
Ask a Question