Teac VRDS-T1 skipping

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dex, Mar 4, 2004.

1. dex

dex

Hello folks,
    My prized Teac VRDS-T1 has just started skipping, mostly on the first couple of tracks on some CDs (all retail not copies). The player must be having trouble reading the inner tracks of CDs.

Has anyone else has this problem and is it easily sorted my using lens cleaner CD? I hope it's something as simple as a dirty lens, as I suspect anything more serious is going to cost a bit to get fixed (if at all given the age of the machine and availability of bits).

Cheers

Dex

dex, Mar 4, 2004
  2. dex

Legzr1

Dex,
    Just had a very similar problem with a Krell 300 CD player.
    Eventually refused to play anything at all.
    Fault was down to broken laser assembly.
    I was under the impression the 300 CD player used a Teac transport but the dealer found the actual laser was a Sony model.
    Good news - £48 for the laser and readily available.
    Bad news - £100 for fitting and aligment (apparently a real bugger to set up).
    Hope this helps give you an idea of probable costs.

Legzr1, Mar 4, 2004
  3. dex

michaelab desafinado

I don't think a lens cleaner will solve the problem but it's worth a shot. More likely what is necessary is a thorough cleaning and re-lubrication of the guide rails.

Worst case it could be you need a new laser but if you can get hold of one it's a relatively straightforward thing to do yourself. I have a T1 and have had the lid off a few times and it's pretty simple in there.

wadia-miester here knows a fair bit about Teac VRDS transports and might be able to help you out esp. if you're having difficulty sourcing a new laser.

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 4, 2004
  4. dex

Mr_Sukebe

I had a similar issue with a VRDS7.
    I tried lubricating the guide rails, but frankly that made virtually no difference. It's worth a try though.
    In the end I had a service engineer look at it. The end diagnosis was that it required a new laser mechanism.
    This is when it starts going all wrong, as Teac spend 4 months unsuccessfully trying to get parts from a Korean supplier.
    So don't keep your hopes up too high, good luck.

Mr_Sukebe, Mar 5, 2004
Ask a Question