The best RCA plug/price

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by zanash, Apr 28, 2004.

1. zanash

zanash

I think I have found a really good RCA plug.......no its not up to the Bullet, but then that is the best regardless of price.

I will be using these .......see pic for testing and less critical aplications

They work out at about 70 pence each yes you read that right. THey also sound suprisingly neutral. There by Neutrik and available through RS.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2004
    zanash, Apr 28, 2004
  2. zanash

Lt Cdr Data om

the best rca is no rca.

Lt Cdr Data, May 2, 2004
  3. zanash

zanash

Yes, but your missing the point of the post. Best is none next best is a Bullet , but this post was cost against performance, and at 70p each thats hard to beat.

zanash, May 3, 2004
  4. zanash

chiba

After a day's messing around with cables and breathing the heady aroma of melting flux, FWIW I kind of agree with Mr Data. I made up some new interconnects using identical cable to my previous favourites but with more expensive, snugger fitting, RCA plugs. Result - they sound slightly fuller/richer than the previous ones. I did a variety of A/B tests but my appraisals were all over the place. Then I had a brainwave and carefully cleaned all connectors with alcohol, polished them until they were seriously shiny, "adjusted" the plugs to be extra grippy and then tried again to figure out what I preferred.... I couldn't, although I do now have a bunch of nice, and very cheap, cables.

Now I've binned all of the bellwire, having really clean, well fitting connectors seems to make the biggest difference... :rolleyes:

All good fun on a rainy day though.

chiba, May 4, 2004
  5. zanash

BlueMax

this variation of the Zen based saying in hi-fi "No Cable is the Best Cable" is absolutely true.

Same goes for all plugs, sockets and connectors of any description. Hard wiring is better than the best connector.

But in the real world we do need to use connectors.
    I have been using Maplin AQ57 RCA plugs that cost £4.
    So at 70p each the ones from RS is well worth a try.

BlueMax, May 7, 2004
Ask a Question