The joys of Transformer Volume Control maintenance - 23 pole switch replacement

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by speedy.steve, Jul 23, 2011.

1. speedy.steve

speedy.steve

For a while now the TVC vol has been acting up. The TVC was second hand when I got it and I have used it a fair bit.

I knew this job was going to be a pain & I had put if off for quite a while and I was not wrong.

It was not blessed with the best quality switch in the first place.
    The old switch was a cheapish Club level (i think it was called) one that can be had for about 17euros. I bought a nice posh looking Seiden 23 pole one and must say it is nicely built and clicks with satisfying precision.

Having worked out how the switches were different in where the input output and ground should go, I set to.

Plumbed in the in out and ground and then worked form there round listening to my headphones to confirm working fine every now and then. Pretty tight and fiddly but satisfying.
    I had to extend some of the wires as the switch orientation was different so that took extra time.

Very nice smooth action to the switch and perhaps it sounds better - well no clicks and pops on vol adjustment and no occasional intermittent right hand channel on a couple of settings at the very least. I fancy things sound even crisper and better connected now

speedy.steve, Jul 23, 2011
  2. speedy.steve

Cable Monkey

Hope nothing ever goes wrong with mine!

Sonic Euphoria PLC with remote volume option. I suspect it would be a pig to find a switch that allowed me to keep the remote option functional.

Cable Monkey, Jul 25, 2011
  3. speedy.steve

speedy.steve

Depends on the way the remote drive operates.
    A stepper motor usually geared 1:2 and a toothed belt us how some work.
    I fitted a Bent audio stepper motor to one and that worked fine. Now I sit near the rack and have own room I don't need a remote anymore.

speedy.steve, Jul 25, 2011
Ask a Question