The most musically important 'invention' of the century

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Aug 19, 2010.

1. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

you tube is excellent too, I have to agree - and videos too, to boot. tends not to have whole albums up though in the same way, just peoples favourites.
    a great resource though to be sure.

didnt know the beatles arent on spotify. Led Zepplin aren't on there either!

I am guessing these omissions are a matter of copyright rather than the wishes of spotify. Not everybody would appreciate the resource I suppose.

Working down the list as we speak.

I have found 2 albums I ''want'' so far.. funnily, neither were the albums on list, but they were by the artists shown on the top 50 list.. spotify gave me all the albums so I cherry picked of course..

One problem I always had in the past with music magazines - they would describe music to me and it sounded interesting, but who knows really, right? You could be reading about some band with intreague that you actively dislike after 3 seconds of actually hearing them.!.. that's the wonderful thing about online music archives to me.

Open source archives (such as you tube) can potentially of course offer even more..

Its all good though.. yay!

bottleneck, Aug 20, 2010
  2. bottleneck

titian

For me one of the greatest invention for music was the microphone even if it started before the 20th century.

titian, Aug 20, 2010
  3. bottleneck

Cable Monkey

The Ipod has simply become the physical aspect of the media IMO.

Cable Monkey, Aug 21, 2010
  4. bottleneck

RobHolt Moderator

I'd say vinyl records, assuming last century and not this one.

It made possible extended playing times and I'd say upped the anti regarding overall quality, with better fidelity an a more durable format that the 78s and tape that went before. It also reduced costs and allowed mass distribution of music which was easily accessible even for those on low incomes.
    Excluding the sprogs, ask most folk about their fondest memories wrt music and they recall LPs and 45s bought in their youth.

RobHolt, Aug 21, 2010
  5. bottleneck

Richard Dunn

If your making it 20th century then it has to be transistors and encapsulation :p

A valve lap top would need a very big lap :D

Richard Dunn, Aug 21, 2010
  6. bottleneck

RobHolt Moderator

I was going to mention that - but that is going right down to base camp!

True though.

RobHolt, Aug 21, 2010
  7. bottleneck

Rick101

Spotify for me.

A few days ago I packed up my CD player and relegated it to the loft. Can't remember the last time I used it.

I'm currently using the 'free' version but I think £60 is quite a reasonable fee for 'no ads'. I think I'm going to sign up to this. Supporting it can only help it grow and get those elusive titles it's missing.

Rick101, Aug 22, 2010
  8. bottleneck

Jimbo

[QUOTE=bottleneck;

didnt know the beatles arent on spotify. Led Zepplin aren't on there either!

Not sure but i think Micheal Jackson ownes the Beatles rights and Led Zep have always been funny with their material. jim.

Jimbo, Aug 22, 2010
  9. bottleneck

bottleneck, Aug 22, 2010
  10. bottleneck

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Chris,

There seem to be a number of acts & albums not on Spotify. This is for various reasons. Some labels have decided not to put their artists on or to only put a few titles on. Some artists have expressed that they don't want to be on Spotify at the moment. Also different licensing law in different regions are also at play.

I had a quick look at some albums in my collection to see if they are on Spotify. I have found quite a few missing. I was not just rare stuff.

There are around 8 million tracks on Spotify at the moment.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 24, 2010
  11. bottleneck

lindsayt

For the 20th century it has to be:

Compact Disk. Perfect sound forever.

Or the suspended belt driven turntable. Far better than those rumbly old idler drives and cogging direct drives.

Or the small 2 or 3 way way ported speaker. Pure clean sound with extended bass from 5" drivers down to 29 hz (+/- db figures unspecified). Must be a great invention because 97% of modern speakers are made this way.

1kw solid state power amps. As Michael Fremer said when reviewing the 1kw Musical Fidelity Titan: "The big amps produce a sense of scale that the small ones simply can't... a high-powered amplifier loafing along sounds...more musically involved and involving, than a low-powered one..."

The drum machine. Saves drummers from all that drudgery: pounding drums hour after hour in order to make pop records for the masses. Not to mention the health and safety aspects from repetitive stress injuries and arthritis.

For the 21st century:

Cryogenically treated high-end inter-connect cables. Well worth four or five figure sums - according to respected hi-fi journalists like Roy Gregory.

lindsayt, Aug 24, 2010
  12. bottleneck

Richard Dunn

Ooooo you piss taker you. :D

Richard Dunn, Aug 24, 2010
  13. bottleneck

Cav Cav

Digital replay in all its formats...

Cav, Aug 24, 2010
  14. bottleneck

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Chris,

Michael Jackson's estate still own half of Sony/ATV publishing, with Sony owning the other half. There was talk about Jacko selling his half but he kept hold of it. Sony do have an agreement to buyout his share for $250 million, which they haven't done.

He has used his share as a guarantee for loans to pay his debts. His debts have gone down a lot due to his death and the big interest in his music and films. This has given big sales. He still need to pay off around $300 million by the end of the year.

The story to how he got the company in the first place is very interesting.

Back in the early 60s, when the Beatles were hitting it big, George Martin told them to get a better publisher. Brian Epstein went to Dick James and they, with the Beatles, formed Northern songs.

In 1965, due to the very high tax rate (90%), the company became a public company. This saved them alot of (capital gains) tax. Lennon & McCartney owned about 15% each but Dick James & Emmanuel Charles Silver owned 37.5%.

Lennon and McCartney wrote alot of song for themselves and for many other artists.

Things were not good between the Beatles and James & Silver. When Epstein died, they tried to get a better publishing deal.

Lew Grade, who was a big entertainment mogul, wanted more action. He had bought Pye records in the 50s. James & Silver offered Northern Songs to Lew Grade without telling Lennon & McCartney. Lennon & McCartney couldn't match Lew Grades cash and Northern songs became part of ATV Music.

In the 70s, Paul McCartney became a good friend of Michael Jackson. He offered Jacko one of his songs, "Girlfirend", and was included on the Off the Wall album. Jacko worked with McCartney again on the "Thriller" & "Pipe of Peace" albums.

Over dinner at McCartney's house, Paul told Jacko about a good to make money. He told him to get into music publishing. He showed him a list of songs publishing rights that he owned. Jacko took good interest in this.

In 1985, ATV music including most of the Beatles songs were up for grabs. Jacko heard about this and went after the sale. Paul McCartney & Yoko Ono were offered the deal for $20 million but Yoko thought the oprice was too high & Paul didn't want to buy it all by himself. That fell through and Jacko made a bid for $47.5 million. This bought the company and Jacko & McCartney fellout.

At the end of the day, Paul McCartney didn't want to pay for it but Michael Jackson did. If I had the money, I would have bought it!

The company includes nearly all of the Beatles songs, Little Richard's big hits, a number of Elvis Presley songs and Bob Dylan songs. The company has also bought other publishing companies and also includes a large number more recent big sellers such as Eminem, Bruce Springsteen, Miles Davis, Bon Jovi, Oasis, Nora Jones and a shed load more.

The business is worth in excess of $4 billion.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 24, 2010
  15. bottleneck

Mescalito

I agree.

Chris

Mescalito, Aug 24, 2010
  16. bottleneck

digital replay dates back to my childhood, and I'm 38!

''this century''...

bottleneck, Aug 24, 2010
  17. bottleneck

danworth81 english through n through

Nordost cable.....BOLLOCKS111

That was a joke, I think neodynium magnets are a great invention!

danworth81, Aug 24, 2010
  18. bottleneck

Richard Dunn

Well I would have thought the greatest invention was obvious...........

Hi-Fi Forums :argue:

Richard Dunn, Aug 24, 2010
  19. bottleneck

Mescalito

Nah, it's acrylic cases!:)

Mescalito, Aug 25, 2010
  20. bottleneck

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

SteveC, Sep 3, 2010
Ask a Question