"Thin" cds

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mike Bass 1, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Mike Bass 1

Mike Bass 1

I have to B&O systems in use; a 7000 stack which operates perfectly, and a Beocenter 9000 whose cd grip is by spring ring (not magnetic clamp). I have inherited a small but significant number of major independent label, out-of-mainstream classical discs, all in apparently excellent condition, but which are not gripped by the spring clip. I have tried the tweak of making an adhesive packing ring to fit to the spindle, but it causes as many problems as it solves. As the 9500 is in my study, I would prefer not to have a segregated collection only playable on the 700. Any suggestions without buying a subsidiary player? Mike.

Mike Bass 1, Nov 18, 2021
  2. Mike Bass 1

Sergeauckland

Have you measured the thickness of the 'thin' CDs, to see what the differences are? If they are genuinely thinner, then a ring spacer on the turntable of the 9000 may help. Otherwise, stumped, as I've never come across this before. Dimensions of CDs are standard, thickness is defined as 1.2mm, with a 15mm centre hole so very surprised if any are thinner.
    S

Sergeauckland, Nov 20, 2021
  3. Mike Bass 1

Mike Bass 1

unfortunately I haven't been able to free my micrometer (yes, I'm that old - it was inherited from my father, but it's seized!).Any suggestions for a source of "spacers" would be handy - I tried using insulating tape, but it was too slippery. Thanks, Mike.

Mike Bass 1, Nov 23, 2021
  4. Mike Bass 1

Sergeauckland

You could try normal printer paper, it should have enough friction, and you can adjust the thickness by multiple layers. I'm not suggesting this as a permanent fix, but to prove the point. I've never had the problem, and I can't find any reference to what the permitted tolerance is on the 1.2mm standard thickness.

S

Sergeauckland, Nov 23, 2021
Ask a Question