timpy's fable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by timpy, Jan 23, 2004.

1. timpy

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Got to listen to my system tonight. I mean really listen, without having to cast a critical ear over a production sample, prototype or something that forms the competition. I didn't play much, some Aswad's Greatest Hits, Tone Loc's - Loc'ed After Dark and some Kellis... yes yes, well I didn't say I was playing music now did I? ;)

Thing is though, it's undergone so many changes since I last actually managed to listen to it for the purposes of enjoyment, that it was almost like listening to someone else's system. :confused:

Now in the back of my mind, there's been a list of things that I think it should be better at, and whilst it is good at making up the numbers in the weight of such and such modification / cable / tweek etc. performs like this in X many systems including mine, it does still have some definate sonic traits, and my actual familiarity with it seems to get less and less.

So effectively, with the launch of an upper range of cables, it's had the opportunity of cost-no-object cabling, both of ours and our performance competitive references, and many have wriggled their way in there (Don't tell WM, every now and again he commences a mission to find something and he takes a lot of deflecting :D ). Anyway tonight, it was that enhanced set-up that I was listening to.

And I was really really drawn into it. And when you think about it, and the cost etc. retail of all the trick bits that were in it, so I blasted well should be!!! It was really good, and quite a bit better than I remembered in every area, and my list of things I think it should be doing better now only a fraction as long.....

....but ....

...and the moral of the story is.....

Well, I was very happy with it before, and whilst it's true, I'm much more happy with it now, the chances are, that in the time that it has been accumulating ever more expensive bits one way or another, I would have been very happy with it whilst they were still accumulating........and buy missing these bits of listening out I missed out on a fair amount of much more cost effective enjoyment.

Now the problem isn't as bad as it sounds, but if I'd actually had to go out and buy all those bits all at once, well it would be quite an investment, and not really justifiable given that I was quite happy with it. All this fancy kit passing through does seem to bring on the upgraditis though, and I'm no more immune than the next man!!

Basically I think the point is; Don't forget to listen and enjoy it!! No matter what state you may think it's in, or whatever upgrade you may be hankering after, just listen to it, because you might, just might, enjoy it nearly as much anyway, just as it is right now.

Cheers

timpy, Jan 23, 2004
  2. timpy

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Aye, I agree with you there mate, its easy to be drawn into looking at the faults, and listening to music is nearly always enjoyable to me no matter what state my kit is in, although one of my new years resolutions is to never say "I'm 100% happy" ever again :lol:

PBirkett, Jan 23, 2004
  3. timpy

Dev Moderator

I agree with you guys, but you wouldn't believe how difficult it can be at times. I can't remember when I last listened to music of my choice. Last week I put on a Led Zeppelin CD and within seconds was told by my daughter to put something else on:mad: The same thing happened with Jimi Hendrix etc. My wife finds Classical music depressing. So what do we listen to? Whatever my teenage daughter wants to :mad: Which is normally Bhangra with oodles of bass (sorry that should be BASS!). In fairness she does have some taste because she dislikes most of chart stuff and is developing a taste for easy Rock and even old Motown (?).

Rant over.

Dev, Jan 23, 2004
  4. timpy

lowrider Live music is surround

Totally agree, its when you listen to the equipment that you find flaws, and they will always be there... :rolleyes:

When you listen to the music you dont care... :MILD:

lowrider, Jan 23, 2004
  5. timpy

Lt Cdr Data om

Note carefully a couple of points, like a tasting a cup of tea or a pint, it always seems to sound better for the first bit, then there is this odd thing with human senses, that you adapt, get used to it, and it is no longer quite so 'wow'.

Also, simply ask....is it good enough, is it enjoyable? that is all there is....

Lt Cdr Data, Jan 24, 2004
  6. timpy

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Yup... I'd been itching with the change something bug for some time... thing weren't quite gelling...

Then, finally, the proper spikes for the meadowlarks arrived, and although not without fault, things have fallen into place a great deal more, and the system is much more enjoyable now.

Any upgrades (other than possibly a few cheap superDAC mods) are on hold until summer at least (since I'm off on holiday in march, and just spent lots of money on a tripod setup). Then the CD transport gets clocked, and the amp is up for replacement (lots of possibles at the moment... Densen, NAD S300, Bel Canto 200.2, etc). However, it's pretty good at the moment... better than it's ever been before, and I'm enjoying listening to it.

I-S, Jan 25, 2004
  7. timpy

cookiemonster

...which begs the question?!

I personally felt the same, which is partly why i got rid of it. I could no longer be bothered with the 'hi-fi', which for me, came to mean something else entirely (which is fine - just that i didn't want that either)

BTW, for the record - i can tell the difference between some stuff, though not all, and would not insist on double blind testing, which personally i think is a load of cobblers.

I suppose i will stop posting, as i am inadvertantly espousing anti-hifi views, which is a bit inappropriate on a hifi forum.

But the above quote is interesting. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2004
    cookiemonster, Jan 25, 2004
  8. timpy

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Difficult situation. But there is hope.

1) Get rid of both daughter and wife; if they are blonde there is a big interest in the Arab market and you could win a lot of camels (that's the price you pay for your wife, down there) ;

2) then sell the camels (I don't exactly know if they fetch more money in Europe - you could try the Zoos - or in Northern Africa) and

3) buy a nice little puppy.

4) With the rest of the money buy more records and then listen to whatever you like.

Really, it is that simple.

:MILD:

Rodrigo de Sá, Jan 25, 2004
Ask a Question