TLC for C370

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by monkey bear, Jan 8, 2010.

  1. monkey bear

    monkey bear

    Jan 8, 2010
    Likes Received:
    I have a much-loved and much used (but never abused) NAD C370.

    The other day a burst water pipe sent a bit of water into the mains conditioner/surge protecter the amp was plugged into and into the amp itself. The amp works fine, but an inspection inside reveals that the 4 main caps have deformed and bulged to varying degrees, from slightly bulged to really quite Salvador Dali bulged. A smaller cap elsewhere on the board also looks a tad bulged.

    I have got into contact with Armor and they are happy to fix for £100 (inc postage back to me) plus parts. They told me they charge £12 for the main caps. So I could be looking at 100+(4x12) plus 5 plus 25 for postage. Nearly £200 to fix, which is fine, but for not much more than that I could get a second hand C372.. so just checking my options.. maybe do it myself.. or maybe someone here could help me..

    I think (I will look again) that the big caps are 80v or 100v, 10,000uF. I know some caps are snap in, are the NAD ones snap in? Anyone have experience with the NAD C370?

    Can anyone help me? Someone really good with an iron who can source perhaps better caps that the originals and who would like to earn a few duby wotsits? Are the original NAD caps any good? I only ask because NAD/Armour repair seems a tad expensive and it's possible the caps were bulged even without the water ingress..... the amp is 5 years old.
    monkey bear, Jan 8, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.