Tough call for the Mail? (Religious 'tardation)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by The Devil, Nov 30, 2009.

1. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...les-fails-religious-discrimination-claim.html

OK, so he's christian (1 Mail point), discriminates against homosexuals on "religious grounds" (2 Mail points), but he's non-caucasian (negative 1 Mail point). So, on balance, I guess the Mail probably like this man.

He claimed that he had been a victim of "religious discrimination", after he was dismissed from his job at Relate for, er, discriminating against some homosexual clients.

It seems quite obvious to religious people that religious people should have the right to discriminate against anyone they (don't) like, without fear of any retribution. Sadly for Mr McFarlane, the Tribunal didn't agree.

Mr McFarlane said: 'This decision is a stark warning to people of conscience in this nation that as a result of 12 years of Labour rule, the British establishment no longer values the democratic rights of its citizens to hold conscience as a matter of principle.

LOL.

The Devil, Nov 30, 2009
  2. The Devil

mr cat Member of the month

3. The Devil

spica

spica, Nov 30, 2009
  4. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

In a service industry, workers must be impartial about their clients, and not discriminate against any subset of them. If they find themselves unable to be impartial, then they are in the wrong job.

If the reason they are unable to be impartial turns out to be because of an invisible friend in the sky, this could be regarded as a source of merriment in some quarters. Particularly when they complain afterwards about "discrimination".

Kind regards,

The Devil, Nov 30, 2009
  5. The Devil

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

lAmBoY, Dec 1, 2009
  6. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

It's beyond belief that the author was ever employed as a science teacher and schools inspector.

Intelligent design implies religious belief, and is actually creationism dressed up as something "respectable". The basic ethos is that since we don't know everything, let's pretend we know nothing, and just say "goddidit".

The origin of life is not addressed by the theory of evolution, but there are some very plausible hypotheses these days:

The problem for christians is that if the theory of evolution is correct, and a mountain of disparate evidence shows that it is correct, then Adam & Eve obviously never existed, and so neither did "original sin".

This makes Jesus's mission to redeem mankind from the non-existent original sin look a little bit silly, and it's why the theory of evolution is anathema.

The Devil, Dec 1, 2009
  7. The Devil

drummerjohn

Not offering advice is not discrimination. If this person was a soul advisor then I may be able to understand. But I am sure there must have been other advisors at Relate.

I worked at a shop 7 days a week but asked for a particualr day off for religious reasons and I wouldn't work on other particular days. Was my belief discriminating my colleagues or my customers.

It's just a pathetic way to end what was a trivial matter of someones beliefs. Overblown as usual.

drummerjohn, Dec 1, 2009
  8. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

I respectfully suggest you get a dictionary. Not offering advice purely because the clients were homosexual almost defines discrimination.

The Devil, Dec 1, 2009
  9. The Devil

spica

he would give, and has given advice to loving homosexual couples and seemingly has no problem with that, however.. he does have a difficulty with giving advice/encouraging gay sex. Does that male him homophobic ?

quote: "Fellow counsellors objected to his stance and claimed his views were homophobic, and in March 2008 he was sacked".

spica, Dec 1, 2009
  10. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

If he was happy to give advice/encourage heterosexual sex, then yes. His prejudice about homosexuality appears to be based on a Bronze-Age book. The world has moved on.

The Devil, Dec 1, 2009
Ask a Question