Tower cages round valves any difference ?- on or off...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SMEagol, Oct 27, 2009.

1. SMEagol

SMEagol Because we wants it...

I read a magazine review somewhere of an integrated valve amp with a well ventilated brass cage per valve and the reviewer said he was yet to try the amp with the protection cages removed from the valves, but stated on previous occasions this brought about an improvement in sound quality - is this 24ct foo? Subliminal, or science...

SMEagol, Oct 27, 2009
  2. SMEagol

RobHolt Moderator

Need to see the amp really and how these towers are fitted.
    Valves can be very microphonic so it seems perfectly possible that some sort of protective casing will have some effect.

RobHolt, Oct 27, 2009
  3. SMEagol

lbr monkey boy

I think there is an improvement (albeit a vanishingly small one) when I have the valve cages on my amp vs off. They're solid though, only ventilated at the top, so I put any effect down to reduction of microphony

lbr, Oct 27, 2009
  4. SMEagol

henley

Could the cages not have an effect on the operating temperature of the valves? I know of one company selling cool dampers which "apparently" reduce the op temp to an optimum level.

Now I've no idea if this works or is complete B.S. but it sounds plausible.

henley, Nov 2, 2009
Ask a Question