Treadmill woes....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DavidF, Jan 8, 2011.

1. DavidF

DavidF

I'll stick this over here as well....

Hi

I e bayed a Reebok treadmill in Sept.

I've run it sparingly since then but having a bit of time off just now I've run it up and found the unit to be faulty. I've had my suspicions that all was not well but only now have had the time to investigate.

The unit has given off bit of a whiff after some 10/15 minutes. The unit otherwise runs perfectly and very smoothly but so I found it difficult there was a lot wrong.

Today its blown th house fuse and refuses to run at all now. The motor has got very warm (tho' not hot)which suspect is the source of the problem. The motor is not seized and the fan is intact and runs freely.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

The seller is not a registered user now.......I have contacted pay pal to see what can be done. E bay only list stuff from the past 2 months so that seems to be a dead avenue to me.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with these machines or recommend a course of action now.

I shall have to talk to the techies at Reebok who have been in the past very helpful.

thanks for any tips

David

...anyone?

DavidF, Jan 8, 2011
  2. DavidF

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

try running outside? its over 4 months since u bought it, i guess u r stuck

lAmBoY, Jan 8, 2011
  3. DavidF

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

possible the motors got a bit too warm and melted the enamalle off some of the motor windings,or theres a fault on the output side causing the motor to work harder than its ment too.other thing is what type of motor is it? depending on type there could be a start/run capacitor thats bust or the centrifugal switch isnt changing over.
    Id try running the motor out of the machine to see if it runs and also that the shaft isnt wobling about,also worth checking that it aint blocked up with dust.One other thing its not a 3 phase motor?

themadhippy, Jan 9, 2011
  4. DavidF

DavidF

No not three phase.

Yes apparantly they are 12v dc, what you do is to plug them into a drill battery, just to check.

It looks (now) like either the speed contrller or the motor.

The condition (+lub) of the track is important. Another thing to check.

Thanks for the ideas.

(I haven't reated the thing that harshly so I'm hoping I havn't stuffed the motor)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011
    DavidF, Jan 9, 2011
  5. DavidF

If its 12v you can check the speed controller with a bank of car lamps ,whatever the raiting of the motor load roughly the same amount of lamps on the controler and run it fo a while, the lower the speed the more heat the thing will need to loose.However to me as it a 12iv motor i'd take a good look at the power supply,especially the primary of the transformer if its got one,the smell could be the transformer getting a bit too warm,same as the motor,it gets too hot,the winding insulation melts and bang,maybe the tranny is a bit underated.

themadhippy, Jan 9, 2011
  6. DavidF

DavidF

You mean with the lights wired in to replacing the motor?

I just tried it again today briefly after squirting some more oil under the belt.

It ran for 2/3 seconds then popped the house fuse again.

I wold say the motor took off quite normally......but then maybe they do?

DavidF, Jan 9, 2011
  7. DavidF

yep,just something to replace the motor load.However if its taking out the house fuse,io assume its the 30/32A socket fuse then id be looking more at the mains side of the kit,not the 12v side.

themadhippy, Jan 9, 2011
  8. DavidF

DavidF

Thanks....

it might simply be the tracks not well enough lubricated. I haven't used it for bit so its possible. There seems to be 101 possibilities atm!!

Thanks again for the ideas..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2011
    DavidF, Jan 9, 2011
  9. DavidF

DavidF

Just thought I'd relay this in case its of use to any one else..

I just had my Dad a round to join forces for some jobs. I showed him the TM and explained what had happened (he is far better at electronics than me).

Whislt i had gone strictly by the instructions with the lubricant he suggested I shoud chuck a load more under there. Just done.......I 'm kicking my self for not doing it before; I can see what's its intended to do now.

I plugged it in and switched on. It ran up sweet as a nut. I ran it for just over a minute without any problem, albeit without me on it!

I'll try it again later. I hope that success means there's not much nasty done to it.

DavidF, Jan 11, 2011
  10. DavidF

glad the greasing cured it,however seems strange that it took out the house fuse,at 12v thats going to be more than 600A,assuming its a 30A fuse.

themadhippy, Jan 14, 2011
  11. DavidF

DavidF

When I said the house fuse I meant the house RCD....

I gather htis happens when there is current leakage to earth. I haven't run it up since then so still don't really now if I've incurred some expensive bills. I need to have a good tidy/clean round it cos cleanliess is a BIG issue with them.

It could swing either way atm :eek:

Ta.

DavidF, Jan 14, 2011
Ask a Question