Trichord Pulsar DAC One DAC

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by daws0n, Jul 19, 2008.

1. daws0n

daws0n

Anyone owned/heared one? I am thinking of buying on to replace my CA DacMagic2i MKII. Can find out much about it, other than it was very expensive when it came out over 10 years ago... Any advice much appreciated :)
    Dawson

daws0n, Jul 19, 2008
  2. daws0n

D Louth 77

HI dawsOn

I did try one and nearly bought one about 13 years ago ,at the time it was the only dac that in my system then bettered my Marantz Cd 94 mk 2. I have tried a Cambridge awhile ago and frankly the Marantz on its own was a lot better. I sold the Cambridge dac on ,i thought it was a bit over rated IMHO. If the Pulsar is cheap enough and in mint full working order its worth a punt and if you don't like it you can always sell it on . If you don't pay a lot you should loose very little,bear in mind e-bay fees(if thats how you sell it on).

The Dac had a nice big open and detailed sound with good dynamics and nice fine detail (compared to my Marantz),but it was not a massive improvement on it. Loss of my job at the time stopped me making this purchase. The Pulasr was a step forward compared to the sound of single bit/bitstream dacs at the time IMHO. I much prefered it to Deltec,Micromega etc.

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Jul 19, 2008
  3. daws0n

daws0n

DAC has arrived :) Only had a brief listen so far but I am liking what I hear. Gotta admit I was pretty skeptical of improvements as the damagic2 is held so highly, but it's definitley a better sound... As you said, more prominent mids, a better low end and not as bright on the treble. It's definitley different :)

daws0n, Sep 4, 2008
  4. daws0n

D Louth 77

HI dawson

Glad you like the pulsar dac , enjoy . Worth playing with digital leads and power cables as well .

I would have been shocked if you thought the Dacmagic was better .

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Sep 8, 2008
Ask a Question