TT question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mutant, Jan 24, 2004.

1. mutant

mutant

might seem like a dumb question, but as im not too clued up on TT's i'll ask anyway. I got an old crappy technics TT cheap (dont need a good one, cos i only have a handful of LP's - all rare so got it to transfer to CD) but the stylus is worn, crackling badly on all LP's, even brand new ones. Question is, do i have to buy the same needle as is on the TT, or are there other brands /models available that will fit?

mutant, Jan 24, 2004
  2. mutant

adam

Hi,

What Technics is it? is it a model slbd 20/22 or something similar to that name,very plasticy build? If so the stylus comes in its own housing,and you just pull/slide that housing off,you then just replace that housing (orange colour?)with the stylus,but to be brutally honest the deck is so bad that a new stylus still sounds rough,even though you have a few records you'll get far greater enjoyment from them with a S/H Rega planner2 or NAD ,project etc,the Technics will do you no favors really.

adam, Jan 25, 2004
  3. mutant

mutant

its a technics SL-J90, does have the cartridge with the orange cover though. Found new cart and fairly good cond. stylus (60-70% left), same model number for £4.99 on ebay.

mutant, Jan 25, 2004
  4. mutant

adam

I dont think they were too much new about £15-20,but don't qoute me on that,it was about 12 years ago,but still look for a old Rega,much better than plastic Technics.

adam, Jan 25, 2004
  5. mutant

mutant

i will keep an eye out, but considering i dont listen to vinyl, i only copy them once to cd then keep them, i dont think its worth spending much on a TT

mutant, Jan 25, 2004
Ask a Question